Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sours and equipment  (Read 1007 times)

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
Sours and equipment
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:03:42 am »
I fermented AHA Rally Surly kettle soured wort in a class carboy using US05. Once my carboys is cleaned, is it safe to use for other beers? Also wondering on poly siphon hose. Cheers!

Offline MattDel1700

• 1st Kit
    • To Brew a Beer
Re: Sours and equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 08:25:44 am »
As long as you didn't add any other bugs post-boil they are both safe! Since it was kettle-soured, the boil would kill off anything you need to worry about.

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:13:11 am »
I tested the theory two times and found that good cleaning and sanitizing works fine. I've never had a problem with sour yeast coming back and ruining my beers.

DLester

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 01:29:55 pm »
Cheap soft coldside gear I keep separate.  But I'm a beleiver in good cleaning and sanitation being all you need, regardless of what you pitched. If you have ever left any coldside gear exposed to the air over night, unless it was in a clean room it was bathed in all kinds of airborne lambic bugs. Cleaning and sanitation seems to cure that, right?

Good cleaning + Good sanitation + Healthy proper pitches = Safe

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:56 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I had washed the carboy twice with Oxy, allowing to air dry before cleaning and replaced the siphon hose. Just wanted some reassurance. Cheers!