Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling with WLP002  (Read 1961 times)

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
Bottling with WLP002
« on: August 25, 2015, 05:43:06 pm »
I will brew my first beer using WLP002. I read mixed reviews of overcabornated bottles and off flavors using this yeast, some conclude that the yeast doesn't attenuate the sugars completely and then reattenuates in the bottle. Can anyone share any tips for bottle conditioning with this yeast?.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bottling with WLP002
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:11:01 pm »
002 is an old stand by. My guess is the people that had trouble, bottled before the yeast was done. It is a lower attenuator generally, but that is because it can't break down certain sugars. Those sugars will be the same in the bottle, so you have nothing to worry about.

When you go to bottle, take a hydrometer reading and come back a few days later for a second hydrometer reading. If they match, you can bottle.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:47:30 am »
My SOP for WLP002 is to rock the carboy once per day for the first 2-3 days of fermentation. 002 sinks like a stone pretty quickly thus the need for rousing. I've never had problems with attenuation since starting this practice. The flocculation issue aside, it's a fantastic yeast.

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:30:54 am »
Thanks for the advice, i will be so sure to take hydrometer readings before bottling and rock the carboy the first 2-3 days.
I read these complaints from this post: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221817&page=40
Can't wait using this yeast with a pumkin ale  8)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:03:01 pm »
I bottle mild, bitter and an ESB with 002 and have not have the issues mentioned in the HBT thread. I'm also not a fast turnover brewer, either. Almost all of my British ales sit in the primary for 4 weeks or more.

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:41:40 am »
I bottle mild, bitter and an ESB with 002 and have not have the issues mentioned in the HBT thread. I'm also not a fast turnover brewer, either. Almost all of my British ales sit in the primary for 4 weeks or more.

What c02 volume do you recommend to bottle with this yeast?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:51:20 am »

What c02 volume do you recommend to bottle with this yeast?

It depends what style of beer you are talking about bottling. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:58:11 pm »
Just to jump in, WLP002/WY1968 is one of my favorite British ale strains. I have never run into any issues with bottle-conditioning with this yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »
Just to jump in, WLP002/WY1968 is one of my favorite British ale strains. I have never run into any issues with bottle-conditioning with this yeast.

Cool seems strange to find different opinions in other threads