Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rosewater?  (Read 4550 times)

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
Re: Rosewater?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 07:36:26 am »
I would also say that less is more.  my wife has used flowers in a few beers- she made a merigold amarillo IPA that was pretty good-  although the flowers did add an intense bitterness.  She also did a lavender saison. Again very good- however we used less lavender than recommended and it still came out smelling like bathroom soap.

saisons are a good safe playground for flavors of this nature especially when fermented at higher temps to really bring our those fruity, spicy esters.  I would just proceed with a REALLY light hand
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Rosewater?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 08:20:36 am »
I would also say that less is more.  my wife has used flowers in a few beers- she made a merigold amarillo IPA that was pretty good-  although the flowers did add an intense bitterness.  She also did a lavender saison. Again very good- however we used less lavender than recommended and it still came out smelling like bathroom soap.

saisons are a good safe playground for flavors of this nature especially when fermented at higher temps to really bring our those fruity, spicy esters.  I would just proceed with a REALLY light hand

on the lavender, did you make sure to use the culinary variety instead of the perfume/soap/medicinal variety?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce