Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hop balance for 'kolsch' style  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
hop balance for 'kolsch' style
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:57:30 am »
I am getting ready for my 4th attempt at a kolsch and have been working to get the hop character right for what I want. My first attempt was bittered with a small amount of magnum and then amarillo for flavor and aroma. My last attempt was tettnang at FWH and that is it. Basically I did an Americanized version first and a more traditional version last. Now, I want to find a balance between both ideas.

For this attempt I will be using Spalt and Amarillo. My thought is to use Spalt for FWH then do a mixture of Amarillo/Spalt at 20 and 5 min remaining for a total of 20-25 IBUs. Any advice on usage ratio between the two varieties? I was thinking double the amount of spalt but don't want the amarillo to be underwhelming. I am not trying to do an APA with kolsch yeast but I do want the amarillo to be noticeable.

This is my current hop schedule idea:
~12 IBU Spalt FWH
14 g Amarillo 20
10 g Amarillo 5
20 g Spalt 5

20-25 IBUs total

EDIT: I realize my terminology may confuse people. I suppose we could call it a blonde if that is more appropriate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:11:59 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: hop balance for 'kolsch' style
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:34:07 am »
With Amarillo you are brewing a pale ale, not a kolsch.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:15:39 am »

Ok thanks. Didn't think a 20 IBU beer would be considered a pale. Good to know.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:23:07 am »
I think, in terms of style, it would come off as a kolsch/pale ale hybrid. Not that that's a bad thing at all. I know your IBUs are low, but Amarillo just has that American ale flavor and aroma. If you're not gonna comp with it, it doesn't matter.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:40:46 am »
I think, in terms of style, it would come off as a kolsch/pale ale hybrid. Not that that's a bad thing at all. I know your IBUs are low, but Amarillo just has that American ale flavor and aroma. If you're not gonna comp with it, it doesn't matter.

Thanks Hoosier. I would think it would be closer to a blonde than a pale but I understand the point. I should just leave kolsch out of it and ask for advice regarding this 'ale'. Any input on the hop schedule to meet my goals? Getting the hops right is always the hardest part of recipes for me.

I am thinking about changing it to:
12 IBUs Spalt FWH
14 g Spalt 20 min
28 g Amarillo 5 min

Ballast Point has a beer which is designated as a 'pale ale'. I was always disappointed in it assuming it was supposed to be an APA. Years later, I discovered it is actually a kolsch which explains my confusion. If I called this beer a pale ale, my friends would be extremely disappointed..haha

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:58:53 am by goschman »

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:54:43 am »

And by pale ale, he means blonde. lol  But yeah, this is more a blonde (you're on the low side IBU-wise for an APA).  For a kolsch, I really like all Spalt.  I assume a mostly Pils grain bill with maybe a little Vienna or Munich?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 07:59:54 am »

And by pale ale, he means blonde. lol  But yeah, this is more a blonde (you're on the low side IBU-wise for an APA).  For a kolsch, I really like all Spalt.  I assume a mostly Pils grain bill with maybe a little Vienna or Munich?

Yep. Mostly pils with a bit of vienna and wheat. I normally use WLP029 but gonna give WY2565 a go for the first time. Any advice on ferm temps? I like a bit of fruitiness so I am thinking a bit above 60F.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:29:13 am »

Yep. Mostly pils with a bit of vienna and wheat. I normally use WLP029 but gonna give WY2565 a go for the first time. Any advice on ferm temps? I like a bit of fruitiness so I am thinking a bit above 60F.

I start WY2565 at 58F and hold for three or four days, then take it to the upper 60s.  It's usually finished in 8-10 days, then crashed to 32 for a few days, gelatin & keg.  Love that yeast.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:16:07 am »
If you like the fruitiness, go between 62-65.  You'll already be getting a fair amount of citrus from the Amarillo, so I wouldn't go much higher than that.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 03:31:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Got the grains and yeast today. Guess I will make a final decision on the hops for my 'ale' on brew day.