Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Portrait of The Modern Homebrewer | Results from the General Homebrewer Survey  (Read 3411 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
I got a kick out of what the stats say at the end of the article. Most homebrewers brew hop forward American ales with untreated tap water, yet they know that the key to better beer is proper water treatment.  They dont know anything about hot side aeration, DMS, FMH, or decoction. They think wirlflock is a clarity cure all. AND... they think this forum is the worst.

Ya, why would you want to use this forum? You make hoppy ales and know they'd be way better if you did water additions, and guys like Martin are right here ready and willing to walk you through it. But... Naaaaw, that forum sucks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:46:52 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Awesome perspective again Jim!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
I got a kick out of what the stats say at the end of the article. Most homebrewers brew hop forward American ales with untreated tap water, yet they know that the key to better beer is proper water treatment.  They dont know anything about hot side aeration, DMS, FMH, or decoction. They think wirlflock is a clarity cure all. AND... they think this forum is the worst.

Ya, why would you want to use this forum? You make hoppy ales and know they'd be way better if you did water additions, and guys like Martin are right here ready and willing to walk you through it. But... Naaaaw, that forum sucks.

That's an interesting point, and now whenever I see "HBT" I read "horse blinder" before I think "homebrew."

But what would I know? I'm the guy that put in a RO system for brewing water but still relies on ambient temps for fermentation.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing

I don't think the point was that people thought this forum sucks, just that it is not terribly popular. I suspect Marshall has built a significant following over there so the results are self-selective in favor of reddit and its brewers.

I would rather the masses of reddit not flood this forum.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
yeah, some people seem to have trouble with separating "biggest" or "most popular" or "favorite"...from "best"

Marshall -  good stuff, thanks.

Offline ynotbrusum

Enjoyed the read, Marshall, as always.  I am in so many small minorities of the survey, that I feel like I may now lack plausibility, but I have a beard that is older than the majority of Reddit punks.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Its the fun part of polls results, building a composite, giving him a voice, then disagreeing with his opinion. You are correct though, its hard to tell why the composit average guy doesnt visit the AHA forum.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
The "why not this forum" questions is likely just a pool size issue.  Kind of like the AHA Club of the Year discussion.  This forum is not as large or as active as other forums so those forums generate more responses.  That gives their forum a higher response count.  Overall, I'm not sure "what forum do you use the most" tells us much.  It does advertise the existence of the AHA forum to those who haven't found it yet though.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?