Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saaz or Hallertauer Mitt?  (Read 9667 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Saaz or Hallertauer Mitt?
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:29:43 am »
Being an ale guy recently getting into lager I haven't brewed with either. What do you guys prefer for a pils and how heavily do you tend to late hop with the style? I was thinking about a FWH & 10m addition but open to suggestions.

If I understand correctly a Czech pils uses all Saaz, German styles hop heavier and use German noble hops, and Helles is a lighter hopped pils? Anyway my recipe is:

100% Pils (well almost 100%, a touch of acid malt for ph)
Czechvar Yeast

Sounds like Best is the preferred pils grain?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Saaz or Hallertauer Mitt?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:58:35 am »
Being an ale guy recently getting into lager I haven't brewed with either. What do you guys prefer for a pils and how heavily do you tend to late hop with the style? I was thinking about a FWH & 10m addition but open to suggestions.

If I understand correctly a Czech pils uses all Saaz, German styles hop heavier and use German noble hops, and Helles is a lighter hopped pils? Anyway my recipe is:

Czechvar Yeast

IMO, FWH is in no way a sub for a 60 min, addition.  For a pils, I do FWH, 60 and 0 for hops.  I make only German pils and use either Hallertau or Tettnang most of the time.  I shoot for maybe 40ish IBU.  Sometimes I'll toss in a lb. of Munich II to bump up the malt, sometimes I don't.  After using a lot of different continental malts, I've settled on Best as my favorite.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:08:19 am »

Czechvar Yeast

IMO, FWH is in no way a sub for a 60 min, addition.  For a pils, I do FWH, 60 and 0 for hops.  I make only German pils and use either Hallertau or Tettnang most of the time.  I shoot for maybe 40ish IBU.  Sometimes I'll toss in a lb. of Munich II to bump up the malt, sometimes I don't.  After using a lot of different continental malts, I've settled on Best as my favorite.

FWH, 60, 0 sounds like a good schedule

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:24:36 am »
For a traditional bopils you want to use all saaz but don't feel like you have to limit yourself to what tradition calls for. You can brew a bopils-style pilsner with German noble varieties or some of the eastern European varieties. Just depends on what you desire in your beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:32:12 am »
For a traditional bopils you want to use all saaz but don't feel like you have to limit yourself to what tradition calls for. You can brew a bopils-style pilsner with German noble varieties or some of the eastern European varieties. Just depends on what you desire in your beer.

+1.  And while not European grown noble varieties, there are some really nice American hops of noble origin like Mt Hood, Liberty, Sterling,Crystal, etc. Those make really nice beers.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:59:02 am »

+1.  And while not European grown noble varieties, there are some really nice American hops of noble origin like Mt Hood, Liberty, Sterling,Crystal, etc. Those make really nice beers.

+1 to really enjoying Mt. Hood and Liberty in clean lagers. 

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:51:32 pm »
also like select spalt mixed with Hallertauer  and magnum. 40ish IBU for northern ger pils also.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 01:11:43 am »
Czechvar yeast makes a fine Czech Pils, but is too soft for German Pils. Saaz is the traditional choice for that style, and may be expected if this is for a competition. Otherwise any noble or noble-ish hop will suit you just fine. I agree with all the other varieties mentioned by others and will add that Ultra makes a nice choice as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 06:18:09 am »
Saaz is almost required for a Czeck Pils, but it does well in a German Pils too. HM and Tettnager are ones I often use in my German Pils.

On the American derivatives, ones not mentioned but worthy of using in a brew just to see are Vangaurd and Santium. Or use several in a German Pils. I have made some good ones using Vangaurd, Tettnanger, and HM or Sazz for bittering, flavor, and aroma respectively. Some are saying to make a blend, and use that blend for all additions - that is one the list to do!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 05:43:19 pm »
Blending is fun and great way to find something you like. up this weekend is a pils with 4 hop blend for 40IBU:

0.75 oz   Magnum [12.40 %] - Boil 40.0 min   Hop   3   26.0 IBUs
1.00 oz   Hallertauer [2.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min   Hop   4   4.3 IBUs
1.00 oz   Saaz [3.60 %] -       Boil 15.0 min   Hop   5   5.7 IBUs
1.00 oz   Select Spalt [2.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min   Hop   6   3.8 IBUs
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 04:26:40 pm »
Either one would work well in a pilsner. Blend them?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 09:36:21 pm »
Good information in your post.

For hop additions I follow the Kai schedule. Maybe load up a little more on the end.

Czech Pils malt is from Moravia, and is of the Hanka/Hanna(SP?) varieties. PU malts their own malt, so there is always the question in my mind as to what color is it kilned to.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 11:26:13 am »
This is great info - I think I'm gonna follow that schedule with HM for my next pils & add 5% light Crystal or Munich

rabeb25

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 11:30:01 am »
They are really nice together, but if you want to learn how each of them taste it might be nice to brew a German pils with all HM, then a Czech pils with all saaz.

One classic hopping schedule for a German pils that I saw Kai post a while back (and supposedly came from a German brewing textbook) was to add 50% of the total alpha acids at 60, 25% at 30, and 25% at 10. If you're only using one type of hop, then this simply corresponds to adding 50% of the hops at 60, 25% at 30, and 25% at 10. You can then scale the absolute amount of hops to hit whatever IBU level you're looking for - I prefer about 35, but there's a wide range of bitterness levels that would be considered to style. Using that as a baseline, you can then bump up the later additions if you're looking for more flavor or aroma, or even add a flameout addition to see what you like. The 50%/25%/25% schedule will give you something pretty close to most modern commercial pilsners, which has a firm, smooth bitterness but is pretty light on the hop aroma.

IBU calculators can only give you a rough estimate of what the actual, perceived bitterness is going to be, and the hop utilization on your system might be different than on my system. Keeping notes about how I liked the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma in a particular batch allows me to adjust future batches accordingly. Bottom line, I do find that getting the hopping just right in a pils takes some trial and error.

As far as German pils grain bills go, I recently made one with 93% Avangard pils, 5% Avangard light crystal 8L, and 2% acid malt. It was my first time using the Avangard light crystal, but I really like how it came out! It didn't end up adding much sweetness at all (OG was 1.050 and FG 1.012), and the beer has just a really nice maltiness that's a little different than the kind you get using 5% Munich malt. I imagine that this malt is the equivalent of carahell as sold by BM or Weyermann.

I remember reading a while back that Leos from Lazy Monk mentioned it's common nowadays for pilsners made in the Czech Republic to use 2-4% caramunich, and the rest pilsner malt with a little acid malt. That's supposedly how a lot of them get the deep golden color and little bit of extra maltiness. I also believe that Czech pilsner malt is made with a slightly different process than German pilsner malt, but I'm not 100% sure on the details. I think it is a hair darker, though.

WY2124/WLP830 is a great yeast for a German pils, but believe it or not I like WY2308/WLP838 quite a bit for that style, too.

Oh, one last thing...I find that a lower boil pH tends to give a smoother hop bitterness. 5.1 to 5.3 is a good range. If you're using low alkalinity water, and acidifying your sparge water, you shouldn't notice a big difference between your mash and boil pH. For my pilsners I usually hit about 5.3 for both the mash and boil.

All looks good except for the FG on the pils.. needs to be closer to 1.008 :)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 07:22:31 pm »

They are really nice together, but if you want to learn how each of them taste it might be nice to brew a German pils with all HM, then a Czech pils with all saaz.

One classic hopping schedule for a German pils that I saw Kai post a while back (and supposedly came from a German brewing textbook) was to add 50% of the total alpha acids at 60, 25% at 30, and 25% at 10. If you're only using one type of hop, then this simply corresponds to adding 50% of the hops at 60, 25% at 30, and 25% at 10. You can then scale the absolute amount of hops to hit whatever IBU level you're looking for - I prefer about 35, but there's a wide range of bitterness levels that would be considered to style. Using that as a baseline, you can then bump up the later additions if you're looking for more flavor or aroma, or even add a flameout addition to see what you like. The 50%/25%/25% schedule will give you something pretty close to most modern commercial pilsners, which has a firm, smooth bitterness but is pretty light on the hop aroma.

IBU calculators can only give you a rough estimate of what the actual, perceived bitterness is going to be, and the hop utilization on your system might be different than on my system. Keeping notes about how I liked the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma in a particular batch allows me to adjust future batches accordingly. Bottom line, I do find that getting the hopping just right in a pils takes some trial and error.

As far as German pils grain bills go, I recently made one with 93% Avangard pils, 5% Avangard light crystal 8L, and 2% acid malt. It was my first time using the Avangard light crystal, but I really like how it came out! It didn't end up adding much sweetness at all (OG was 1.050 and FG 1.012), and the beer has just a really nice maltiness that's a little different than the kind you get using 5% Munich malt. I imagine that this malt is the equivalent of carahell as sold by BM or Weyermann.

I remember reading a while back that Leos from Lazy Monk mentioned it's common nowadays for pilsners made in the Czech Republic to use 2-4% caramunich, and the rest pilsner malt with a little acid malt. That's supposedly how a lot of them get the deep golden color and little bit of extra maltiness. I also believe that Czech pilsner malt is made with a slightly different process than German pilsner malt, but I'm not 100% sure on the details. I think it is a hair darker, though.

WY2124/WLP830 is a great yeast for a German pils, but believe it or not I like WY2308/WLP838 quite a bit for that style, too.

Oh, one last thing...I find that a lower boil pH tends to give a smoother hop bitterness. 5.1 to 5.3 is a good range. If you're using low alkalinity water, and acidifying your sparge water, you shouldn't notice a big difference between your mash and boil pH. For my pilsners I usually hit about 5.3 for both the mash and boil.

All looks good except for the FG on the pils.. needs to be closer to 1.008 :)
Czech Pilsner should have FG about 1014.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com