Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First lager, Munich Madness (Oktoberfest), Wyeast 2206  (Read 2248 times)

Offline VABrewHound

• 1st Kit
First lager, Munich Madness (Oktoberfest), Wyeast 2206
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:53:44 pm »
Built a fermentation chamber and needed something to try it out so I brewed Munich Madness (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-munich-madness/) from the AHA site.  Following the directions I pitched 1 smack pack of Wyeast 2206, that never really swelled that much.  It is apparently a slow starter, and it was about 3 months old.  After not seeing much activity in the airlock (it bubbled about once a minute) for the first several days/week, I decided that I may have underpitched the yeast, even though I was just following directions.  So I got 2 more packs of 2206 and smacked them to get them started.  Checked the chamber and now there is much more rapid bubbling and krausen beginning to form.  My question- should I pitch the additional yeast, or just let things progress as they are? Pros? Cons?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: First lager, Munich Madness (Oktoberfest), Wyeast 2206
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:00:56 pm »
If you had a slow start that eventually started, it is now probably too late to pitch more yeast.  But, since you've got it, have at 'er.  No telling what you might end up with now.  Might be great, might not.  About 50/50 odds, I would say.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17:14 am »
You probably know this, but, just in case... It's not too late to keep the 2 extra smack packs you purchased but didn't pitch for a future batch. Even though you have already smacked them the yeast inside is still good.

Offline VABrewHound

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:26:35 pm »
Interesting- how long will they last and would I need to do anything to them before I use them?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »

Interesting- how long will they last and would I need to do anything to them before I use them?
Wyeast guarantees the yeast is good for 6 months. There is a manufacturing date on the package.

The longer you go the more yeast cells die. You can use an online yeast calculator like Mr. Malty to estimate how many cells are left based on the manufacturing date.

You can revive old yeast with a yeast starter. Yeast starters are a good idea almost all the time. They are always needed for lagers (unless you're pitching many packs).

Offline VABrewHound

• 1st Kit
Update: First lager, Munich Madness (Oktoberfest), Wyeast 2206
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 01:53:58 pm »
If you had a slow start that eventually started, it is now probably too late to pitch more yeast.  But, since you've got it, have at 'er.  No telling what you might end up with now.  Might be great, might not.  About 50/50 odds, I would say.

So I went with the do nothing approach and let it go- gave it an extra week to ferment to make up for the week that it took to get started. And...it finished! SG on 9/5/15 was 1.014, nice and clear, and no discernible off flavors- in fact, it tastes pretty good!

I'd like to bottle it so I can give some to friends- anything different about bottling a lager?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 02:32:41 pm »
None that I have seen in my lagers so far,  but I have been bottle conditioning and then lagering after receiving that advice here on the forum
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Update: First lager, Munich Madness (Oktoberfest), Wyeast 2206
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »
So I went with the do nothing approach and let it go- gave it an extra week to ferment to make up for the week that it took to get started. And...it finished! SG on 9/5/15 was 1.014, nice and clear, and no discernible off flavors- in fact, it tastes pretty good!

I'd like to bottle it so I can give some to friends- anything different about bottling a lager?

No, nothing different.  Bottle like normal.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.