Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing Previously Tapped Kegs  (Read 1296 times)

Offline KyleFR

• 1st Kit
Storing Previously Tapped Kegs
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »
Hi all,

Question regarding keg storage:

If I keg, force carbonate and then tap and serve a homebrew keg for a period of time, will the quality of the beer be affected if I disconnect the keg from the serving and gas lines and simply store it cold for later consumption?

I'm looking to serve some specific beers for an upcoming party but don't want to dump what I currently have on tap. Wondering if I can move what is on tap to a different fridge without consequence until the party beer is finished.

Thanks! 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Storing Previously Tapped Kegs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:15:05 pm »
As long as you don't use air to dispense, and you keg holds pressure, you'll be fine. The only downside will be possibly stirring up sediment when moving it.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:03:13 am »
No issues whatsoever.  I do this all the time.  Just be sure your liquid out post is not leaking at all...

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:20:33 am »
No issues whatsoever.  I do this all the time.  Just be sure your liquid out post is not leaking at all...

Always good advice but particularly so when you've previously served from the keg. It's amazing how little pieces of hops can get in the poppet and you never notice it until you disconnect.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN