Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: sourcing fermentis k97  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
sourcing fermentis k97
« on: August 28, 2015, 02:18:19 pm »
Anyone know where I can purchase this online in 11 g sachets? I have seen them before where the seller packages them out from the larger commercial sized packages but now I don't know where I saw it. Fermentis was supposed to release this yeast in the smaller packets but I haven't heard or seen anything in a long time now.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Stevie

Re: sourcing fermentis k97
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:55:18 pm »
http://americanbrewmaster.com/k-97-german-ale-yeast

Never used them. Had to go four pages deep in a google search to find it. I know i have seen it from a more well known shop, but can't recall where.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:40 am »
Anyone know where I can purchase this online in 11 g sachets? I have seen them before where the seller packages them out from the larger commercial sized packages but now I don't know where I saw it. Fermentis was supposed to release this yeast in the smaller packets but I haven't heard or seen anything in a long time now.
I'm pretty sure that Atlantic brew supply has it. They also have a USPS option and three packs only cost $2 something to ship.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:47:50 am »
Thanks! I think Atlantic Brew is where I saw it before. Their site is under maintenance so I am not sure if they still carry it.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 10:08:22 am »
Thanks! I think Atlantic Brew is where I saw it before. Their site is under maintenance so I am not sure if they still carry it.
Call their 800 number. You can place an order at the same time.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:43:14 pm »
They do have it. Currently $2.08 per packet. At this price I gotta at least give it a shot.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 02:37:26 pm »
One last question about this yeast. From what I understand it is the same strain or very similar to WY1007. Is this correct? 

I am curious if this yeast could work well for kolsch at 64-66F to get more 'winey character' and well for alts at 58-60F for a cleaner character. I assume the answer is that you cannot make a kolsch with alt yeast and vice versa but I recall someone here saying they had used K97 successfully for both styles. I see that WL and WY both recommend their kolsch yeast for the alt style and vice verse as well. I understand that this isn't the best choice althought WY reports that 1007 at higher temps will produce 'mild fruitiness'.

So basically, my question is: is there a good yeast for kolsch and alt style beers?

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 02:57:56 pm »
So basically, my question is: is there a good yeast for kolsch and alt style beers?

I like Wyeast 2565 for both Kölsch and Altbier, though I use 1007 for Altbier as well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 02:58:40 pm »
One last question about this yeast. From what I understand it is the same strain or very similar to WY1007. Is this correct? 

I am curious if this yeast could work well for kolsch at 64-66F to get more 'winey character' and well for alts at 58-60F for a cleaner character. I assume the answer is that you cannot make a kolsch with alt yeast and vice versa but I recall someone here saying they had used K97 successfully for both styles. I see that WL and WY both recommend their kolsch yeast for the alt style and vice verse as well. I understand that this isn't the best choice althought WY reports that 1007 at higher temps will produce 'mild fruitiness'.

Kinda the same, but not as clean.  IMO, there is no one yeast that works for both kolsch and alt.   To my mind, kolsch should have a winey/fruity character and alt should be crisp and clean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 03:00:25 pm »

Kinda the same, but not as clean.  IMO, there is no one yeast that works for both kolsch and alt.   To my mind, kolsch should have a winey/fruity character and alt should be crisp and clean.

Thanks Denny. That's kind of what I figured. I will just have to try it at multiple fermentation temps to see what differences I detect.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:16:22 pm »
I just picked up 4 packs of K97 that has an expiration date of March '15. Since this is dry yeast, do I need to worry about this or will I likely be okay to just use one pack in 1.045-1.055 wort? Also any recommendations on temperature? I was thinking low 60s
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:26:43 pm by goschman »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 04:48:38 pm »
I just picked up 4 packs of K97 that has an expiration date of March '15. Since this is dry yeast, do I need to worry about this or will I likely be okay to just use one pack in 1.045-1.055 wort? Also any recommendations on temperature? I was thinking low 60s

I just ordered two packs from Atlantic Brew Supply. They are past their best buy date and ABS only charged half price.
Not sure about temp, I'm thinking low 60s also.
One would probably be okay for 1.045 or so.
I'll be doing a three gallon batch and one pack even a bit out of date will work for me.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 05:28:20 pm »
I got this email. Awesome!

Hey Chris, 

I hear this got taken care of over the phone?  I noticed there was a thread on AHA's forums regarding this yeast and both you and Steve Ruch have come to us for it.  First off, thanks!  Second, based on some research I'm seeing, the  drop in viability of dry yeast per month is ~4%. The yeast was stored pretty well: kept at around 34-36 degrees and was originally vacuum sealed.  So, to answer your question regarding the expiration date: I would expect a standard 11g sachet of yeast that has expired half a year ago to be decently viable, but you could always benefit from a low-gravity starter.  What I would recommend is doing a good ol' fashioned yeast rehydration to proof the yeast.  If you see a reasonable amount of activity you should be fine.

-Tony

Sincerely,
Atlantic Brew Supply

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 10:32:11 am »
I got this email. Awesome!

Hey Chris, 

I hear this got taken care of over the phone?  I noticed there was a thread on AHA's forums regarding this yeast and both you and Steve Ruch have come to us for it.  First off, thanks!  Second, based on some research I'm seeing, the  drop in viability of dry yeast per month is ~4%. The yeast was stored pretty well: kept at around 34-36 degrees and was originally vacuum sealed.  So, to answer your question regarding the expiration date: I would expect a standard 11g sachet of yeast that has expired half a year ago to be decently viable, but you could always benefit from a low-gravity starter.  What I would recommend is doing a good ol' fashioned yeast rehydration to proof the yeast.  If you see a reasonable amount of activity you should be fine.

-Tony

Sincerely,
Atlantic Brew Supply

Tony as been very helpful to me. I bought two past best by date packs to brew a three gallon batch. I think I'll only need one, but got two just in case I don't see fermentation in a reasonable time I'll have a second one to toss in. Or I may just toss in both at the same time to be safe.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 11:26:59 am »
I saw this price $1.30 for 11g and bought 3 packs. What should I brew? I just saw clean ale yeast. I saw Alt in this thread. What about blonde, APA, American Amber?