Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wedding Brews  (Read 3744 times)

coastsidemike

Wedding Brews
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:07:24 pm »
Sharing what I did for a wedding:

I brewed six different beers, shooting for a minimum of a case of 22oz bombers each, targeting enough beer for 40-60 people.  My goal was to brew either 3 gallon batches, or 6 gallons and split the batch to make two different beers, or brew 8 gallons and keg whatever was not bottled.  This is what I shared via the awesome Swap'toberfest.

It worked well to bottle in this case.  I know that I needed to focus on presentation, and so I passed up labeling in favor of a ribbon glued around the bottle's body and a ribbon tied on the neck.  Using sharpies and so on just wasn't going to work, and so I iron-on'd text onto all the ribbon.

It's all color coordianted.  Everything needed to be sailing themed for the wedding, hence the anchors tied onto the ribbons and the "Shipside homebrewery" name:

This was actually for a picnic the day before the wedding, and so I was just getting set up when a literal bus-load of family showed up.  It was great to look around and see 50 or so people all having a good time with beers in hand.

Lessons learned:

- get out of the way.  Get it all set-up and let'm figure it out
- lots of great tap-houses and Belgian beer exposure in America; people love to talk beer and want something interesting
- regardless of how creative the beers are, there's always contingents that want only a light Pilsner or a strong super hoppy IPA
- in this case the wedding couple asked that no one get smashed and so most everything was around 5% ABV.  But, there's always a few who really really really want that bold IPA
- for those who can't or don't like beer, having something Gin-based was important.  If I did it again, I'd make a pitcher of Zombie and have that available
- it was a special time of seeing all the family together for a very rare event. A number of people wanted ribbons untied to take with them afterwards, and it was also fun to hand-out the remaining bottles
- last but not least, having the wedding couple participate in the making and naming of the beers was important.  Everything beer-wise was sailing themed and the wedding itself was heavily Hawaiian themed.   Aloha!

- Mike
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:33:09 pm by surfin.mikeg »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Wedding Brews
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:58:47 am »
Good info, thanks!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:59:15 am »
Cool story, I have a big, bold IPA that I brewed for the toast at my cousin's wedding tomorrow. They requested something inspired by Hop Valley's Alphadelic IPA.  A fun beer to make that will certainly please the hopheads and it's only intended to be small pours for the toast and whomever wants more after that. Hoping I can bottle the remnants for the new bride and groom. Made 18 gallons in two 10 gallon corny kegs. We'll do 4-6 oz. pours for the toast.  I call it Nuptial Toast IPA.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

coastsidemike

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:02:18 pm »
Cool story, I have a big, bold IPA that I brewed for the toast at my cousin's wedding tomorrow. They requested something inspired by Hop Valley's Alphadelic IPA.  A fun beer to make that will certainly please the hopheads and it's only intended to be small pours for the toast and whomever wants more after that. Hoping I can bottle the remnants for the new bride and groom. Made 18 gallons in two 10 gallon corny kegs. We'll do 4-6 oz. pours for the toast.  I call it Nuptial Toast IPA.

Hey Steve, how did it go over?  Congrats to your cousin.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 02:51:27 pm »

Hey Steve, how did it go over?  Congrats to your cousin.

Thanks Mike! Everything turned out great and I have enough left over to bottle for the newlyweds and family for the holiday festivities. That will go over well!

Cheers!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified