Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP029 vs. Wyeast WY2565 | xBmt Results!  (Read 8939 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Kölsch is one of those styles that tastes great all year long, just as thirst quenching during the hot days of summer as it is quaffable in the middle of winter. For this week's xBmt, Ray was curious how different 2 yeast strains from different suppliers were. He split a 10 gallon batch of wort between 2 carboys, pitching 1 with Wyeast 2565 Kölsch yeast and the other with White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch yeast. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/08/31/yeast-comparison-white-labs-wlp029-vs-wyeast-wy2565-xbmt-results/

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP029 vs. Wyeast WY2565 | xBmt Results!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:39:55 am »
I just pitched 2565 yesterday for the first time. I normally use 029 so I am very excited to see which strain I prefer. I like a kolsch that is a bit more 'fruity' so it sounds like 2565 might provide a bit more of that.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:53:28 am »
I just pitched 2565 yesterday for the first time. I normally use 029 so I am very excited to see which strain I prefer. I like a kolsch that is a bit more 'fruity' so it sounds like 2565 might provide a bit more of that.
I'm excited to hear which one you prefer as well!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:26:49 am »
while the WY2565 beer was much “funkier” for lack of a more appropriate term. Not funk like a sour beer or Brett, just a lot more yeasty character (not specifically esters or anything).

The term that I have seen used, and agree with, is "winey".  That winey character is why my preference goes to WY2565.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:42:35 am »
The term that I have seen used, and agree with, is "winey".  That winey character is why my preference goes to WY2565.

+1
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:13 am »

+1

+2

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 11:52:44 am »
while the WY2565 beer was much “funkier” for lack of a more appropriate term. Not funk like a sour beer or Brett, just a lot more yeasty character (not specifically esters or anything).

Good to hear. This is what I was referring to as 'fruity' but 'winey' is more appropriate. I have gotten it once out of WLP029 but I think that was in combination with some hop choices.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 12:04:43 pm »
Just tapped into my latest kolsch with WY2565 two days ago.  I really enjoy the "chardonnay-like" character from the yeast. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 12:05:46 pm »

+1

Yep...white wine with a bit of fruit.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:09:59 pm »

+1

Aside from Kolsch, that description really makes me want to brew a Nelson Sauvin pale ale with that yeast...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 06:20:44 pm »

+1

Aside from Kolsch, that description really makes me want to brew a Nelson Sauvin pale ale with that yeast...
That sounds awesome Eric
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 08:40:54 am »
The only thing I will say is I prefer the WY kolsch strain to be fermented  a little cooler than you did. Other wise nice comparison.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 09:02:06 am »
Man WY2565 took off quickly and went crazy on me. I was purposely fermenting it a bit warmer @ 65F and had my fermentation chamber set to 60F. Everything was perfect. Got home from work and it had jumped up to 68.7 which was disappointing. I set my chamber to 57F and it dropped to 66 in a couple of hours then slowed and dropped to 63. Last night I set the chamber to 65F and it is currently at 64F and seems to be staying at the chamber's ambient temperature.

It is what it is but I wish I could have controlled the temperature a lot better. I try to monitor fermentations closely but I have to go to work at some point...haha. I have never had a beer ferment 9F above ambient as they are usually closer to 5 for me. I will be prepared next time...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:04:13 am by goschman »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 09:33:15 am »
Did either beer have:

Aroma: "A pleasant, subtle fruit aroma from fermentation (apple, cherry or pear)"

Flavor: "an almost imperceptible fruity sweetness"

Overall impression: "delicately-balanced beer usually with a very subtle fruit and hop character."

I quoted above from BJCP 2015. I find a lot of Kölsch's don't have the subtle fruit flavor and aroma. I prefer Kölsch with that fruit character. I like subtle flavors like this that I can concentrate on when drinking a pint.

PS. I have a lot of people tell me Kölsch is not supposed to be fruity.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 09:36:09 am »
Did either beer have:

Aroma: "A pleasant, subtle fruit aroma from fermentation (apple, cherry or pear)"

Flavor: "an almost imperceptible fruity sweetness"

Overall impression: "delicately-balanced beer usually with a very subtle fruit and hop character."

I quoted above from BJCP 2015. I find a lot of Kölsch's don't have the subtle fruit flavor and aroma. I prefer Kölsch with that fruit character. I like subtle flavors like this that I can concentrate on when drinking a pint.

PS. I have a lot of people tell me Kölsch is not supposed to be fruity.

I agree. Kolsch is not blonde ale or helles. It should have that subtle fruit/wine thing.
Jon H.