Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP029 vs. Wyeast WY2565 | xBmt Results!  (Read 8853 times)

Offline brewday

• Brewer
Re: Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP029 vs. Wyeast WY2565 | xBmt Results!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 09:58:10 am »
Did either beer have:

Aroma: "A pleasant, subtle fruit aroma from fermentation (apple, cherry or pear)"

Flavor: "an almost imperceptible fruity sweetness"

Overall impression: "delicately-balanced beer usually with a very subtle fruit and hop character."

I quoted above from BJCP 2015. I find a lot of Kölsch's don't have the subtle fruit flavor and aroma. I prefer Kölsch with that fruit character. I like subtle flavors like this that I can concentrate on when drinking a pint.

PS. I have a lot of people tell me Kölsch is not supposed to be fruity.

I agree. Kolsch is not blonde ale or helles. It should have that subtle fruit/wine thing.

+1

I do get subtle apple and pear from 2565.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 10:15:52 am »
The only thing I will say is I prefer the WY kolsch strain to be fermented  a little cooler than you did. Other wise nice comparison.

+1. I like 58-60F for 2565.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 05:33:41 pm »
The only thing I will say is I prefer the WY kolsch strain to be fermented  a little cooler than you did. Other wise nice comparison.

The exact same temps I use as well. Clean, crisp, slight fruit/wine thing.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Yeast Comparison: White Labs WLP029 vs. Wyeast WY2565 | xBmt Results!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 06:24:02 am »
Did either beer have:

Aroma: "A pleasant, subtle fruit aroma from fermentation (apple, cherry or pear)"

Overall impression: "delicately-balanced beer usually with a very subtle fruit and hop character."

I quoted above from BJCP 2015. I find a lot of Kölsch's don't have the subtle fruit flavor and aroma. I prefer Kölsch with that fruit character. I like subtle flavors like this that I can concentrate on when drinking a pint.

I do think many have come to think of Kölsch as a Helles fermented with ale yeast, which it is not.

I like that range for 029 as well!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 06:40:42 am »
I do think many have come to think of Kölsch as a Helles fermented with ale yeast, which it is not.

Kinda like how schwarzbier is apparently a lagered porter. Dear 80-90% of comp entrants: it's not!  :)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 06:41:38 am »

Kinda like how schwarzbier is apparently a lagered porter. Dear 80-90% of comp entrants: it's not!  :)
Totally! That's more like a Session Baltic :)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 06:48:40 am »

No, it's a helles with sinamar.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 06:51:10 am »

Ha. I was referring to the layered porter comment. I'd say traditional Schwarzbier has a little more hop character than Helles, but yeah. I'll admit that my Schwarzbier (May the Schwarzbier With You) has some chocolate character, intentionally.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 06:52:23 am »

Ha. I was referring to the layered porter comment. I'd say traditional Schwarzbier has a little more hop character than Helles, but yeah. I'll admit that my Schwarzbier (May the Schwarzbier With You) has some chocolate character, intentionally.
While not perfect, I prefer to think that Schwarz is a Pils with sinimar. But I'm also in love with Pils. ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:48 am »
I was playing off of the "kolsch is a helles with ale yeast" comment. Schwaezbier should have a kiss of roast to it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:15 am »
Did either beer have:

I do too but you have to be careful because I have had it stall out if you don't raise it up about 62 before it finishes. But I start them both out at 56-58.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 07:16:32 am »

Did either beer have:

I do too but you have to be careful because I have had it stall out if you don't raise it up about 62 before it finishes. But I start them both out at 56-58.
I've heard this from others, but in close to 30 experiences with 029 at 58F, I've never had it stall. That said, I always ramp the temp after 3-5 days.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 07:42:41 am »

Yep, I usually give it 3 days @ 58-60, then bump up a bit.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 03:07:30 pm »
If you always ramp it up it won't stall!  ;)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 08:57:36 pm »
I'm brewing another Kolsch on Monday. This time with Giga Kolsch 021.  I wonder what strain it is from and where it falls around these yeasts?  I too like WY strain, 029 is too clean for me.     
Jeff B