Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Chocolate  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Belgian Chocolate
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 03:39:07 pm »
I used to use Ghirardelli in my stout just cuz I could tell people it had Ghirardelli chocolate.

I've gone to using simple baking chocolate.  Whatever they have at the store.  It's been years since I used powder. 

I add it in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil.  Never tried the whirlpool, but the baking bars are thick and I'm not certain they would fully melt in the whirlpool.  Powder wouldn't give you that issue.

I think that just saying "Belgian" chocolate is sufficient.  There aren't too many people who would know Coat da Oar from Callebaut, IMO.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 08:01:18 pm »
Hey Keith...long time!

Powder in the boil seems like the best way to go. Of course nibs in the fermenter. Anyone ever try chocolate syrup in the fermenter? Chocolate extract? Liquor? Combination there of?

Man...I need to try reading some posts here more often.
Ron Price

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 03:07:11 am »
Food for thought:

1. Belgium has the best beer in the world. Fact.
2. Belgium has the best chocolate in the world. Fact.
3. Belgium produces some of the best beer with chocolate in the world. Fact? Euh no. Guess why.
4. Belgium produces the worst commercial beer I have ever tasted in my life: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/florisgaarden-chocolat-gardenbeer/6187/ Fact.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 09:42:02 am »
Food for thought:

3. Belgium produces some of the best beer with chocolate in the world. Fact? Euh no. Guess why.
4. Belgium produces the worst commercial beer I have ever tasted in my life: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/florisgaarden-chocolat-gardenbeer/6187/ Fact.

First off, this post is silly. Second off, you are missing the point on this one. I appreciate more your posts before which were helpful. this one I might as well have seen on Facebook. ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 09:42:50 am »
Hey Keith...long time!

Powder in the boil seems like the best way to go. Of course nibs in the fermenter. Anyone ever try chocolate syrup in the fermenter? Chocolate extract? Liquor? Combination there of?

Man...I need to try reading some posts here more often.

Yes, you need to be around here more often! I know you aren't too busy. ;)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 07:49:14 pm »
Food for thought:

First off, this post is silly. Second off, you are missing the point on this one. I appreciate more your posts before which were helpful. this one I might as well have seen on Facebook. ;)
If I saw this on Facebook, my reply would have been "5. Belgium is full of pompous asshats. Fact." or "Why don't you post this in the Belgian Homebrewers Association forum. Oh wait...". But we're in a more civilized place, and I am taking it on good faith that this comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 03:30:02 am »
Food for thought:

If I saw this on Facebook, my reply would have been "5. Belgium is full of pompous asshats. Fact." or "Why don't you post this in the Belgian Homebrewers Association forum. Oh wait...". But we're in a more civilized place, and I am taking it on good faith that this comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Yes, this was humongously tongue-in-cheek, but maybe not so obvious for people who don't know me or the Belgian situation very well. I apologize for the confusion, and I solemnly promise I will never do this again without the proper explanation and/or the proper tongue-in-cheek markers.

And yes, I'm a pompous asshat, but that's just a personal situation, please don't extrapolate to brave little Belgium.

But I don't alter my opinion that that chocolate beer is the vilest liquid I ever had in my mouth. But I doubt it had any real chocolate in it. I think it was a mixture of dredgings from the river Scheldt and artificial chocolate flavor.
Frank P.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 07:16:23 am »
I happen to be a big fan of asshattery in general. So its all good!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 10:03:57 am »
Food for thought:

Yes, this was humongously tongue-in-cheek, but maybe not so obvious for people who don't know me or the Belgian situation very well. I apologize for the confusion, and I solemnly promise I will never do this again without the proper explanation and/or the proper tongue-in-cheek markers.

And yes, I'm a pompous asshat, but that's just a personal situation, please don't extrapolate to brave little Belgium.

But I don't alter my opinion that that chocolate beer is the vilest liquid I ever had in my mouth. But I doubt it had any real chocolate in it. I think it was a mixture of dredgings from the river Scheldt and artificial chocolate flavor.
A twerp from Antwerp! Who would have guessed!  ;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 01:16:28 pm »
I happen to be a big fan of asshattery in general. So its all good!

Awesome.   ;D
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »
I don't know why exactly but I feel kinda proud  8)
Frank P.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 03:21:17 pm »
I don't know why exactly but I feel kinda proud  8)
Well its come full circle then. ;-)