Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what can i do in the meantime???  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Brew_page91

• 1st Kit
  • Brew as if it was the last!
what can i do in the meantime???
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:33:47 pm »
Ok so this is my first post on a message board, and I'm really glad I can ask this question with confidence knowing y'all will help point me in the right direction.
A quick synopsis of my brewing history. I started HB last Christmas 2014 with a IPA kit from Craft-a-brew, that was a gift from my grandma ( who jokingly regrets the gift). After the kit I jumped straight into all grain and I've never used extract to make wort. I've brewed at least 15 times, and made 5 different styles. (IPA,RIS,Kölsch, an apricot beer, and a rum and oak mild.) ive got all the books (how to brew J.P., designing great beer etc.)
My question, after ive rambled enough, is are there any kind of worksheets that have brewing equations that are incomplete or that give you a kind of word problem so that even if your not physically brewing you can still continue learning? 
Stay True to your Brew!

Offline brewcrew7

• Cellarman
Re: what can i do in the meantime???
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:25:09 am »
Join the AHA if you haven't already and read all the Zymurgy magazines available to you. Otherwise, teach a friend how to brew. No better way to spread and deepen your own knowledge at the same time!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:29:33 am »
Join the AHA if you haven't already and read all the Zymurgy magazines available to you.

+1. Also, listen to the presentations on the AHA site.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:32:42 am »
Plus, study everything on this page: http://www.bjcp.org/examcenter.php ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:49:27 am »
Don't know about worksheets. Listen to podcasts, read lots of books, join a local club.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 02:01:11 pm »
My question, after ive rambled enough, is are there any kind of worksheets that have brewing equations that are incomplete or that give you a kind of word problem so that even if your not physically brewing you can still continue learning?

1) Join AHA. Listen to all of the NHC Seminars that interest you. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/

2) Now that you're an AHA member, read the online back issues of Zymurgy. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/magazine/ezymurgy/

3) Find a local homebrew club and join them! Get involved and learn from the people around you.

4) You say you have "all of the books", but I would venture a guess that you don't have all of them. Do you have these?
  • Malt/Hops/Water/Yeast
  • Brewing Better Beer
  • Modern Homebrew Recipes
  • Brewing Classic Styles
  • The entire Classic Beer Styles series: http://www.amazon.com/lm/R3OSZ1WJXFCXZA
  • Brew Like a Monk
  • Farmhouse Ales
  • Wild Brews
  • American Sour Beers
  • Brewing with Wheat
  • IPA
  • Radical Brewing
  • Experimental Homebrewing
  • New Brewing Lager Beer
  • Principles of Brewing Science
  • Brewing with Wheat
5) If you have all of those and read them all, check out the BJCP. Education is a huge effort of the BJCP, one which I can personally attest to. http://www.bjcp.org/

6) If you're still bored between brew days, have a listen to some Basic Brewing Radio podcasts. http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

Cheers, and happy brewing!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

narvin

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:51:43 pm »
braukaiser.com has lots of good chemistry you can get into.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 05:11:47 pm »
I'll throw a shout out for Brewing Network. If you are easily offended by locker room humor disregard. But if you can tolerate that, there is a ton of good info as well as entertainment. Caviat, no matter where you look you will find info and techniques that are questionable or outdated. For example the latest issue of Zymurgy is still suggesting olive oil in yeast starters. Awesome magazine, but you need to learn what is good info and what isnt. The BN is no exception. IE its not perfect, and shouldn't be taken as a fountain of irrefutable truth.

Having said that, there are shows on technique and technology (brew strong). Shows on all of the classic styles (brewing with style). Shows on sour beer, and The Session which is the flagship show. Also, Dr Homebrew where you send in a beer and two master judges give you feedback on the air. I submitted a couple lately and got great feedback, plus a couple 2L Erlenmyer flasks, some Starsan and PBW, and two full cases worth of reusable custom made beer bottle labels. Pretty awesome deal.

A few people hate the BN, but in my opinion they are awesome.  Worth a listen.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:15:45 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 05:20:55 pm »
A few people hate the BN, but in my opinion they are awesome.  Worth a listen.

+100.  I recommend to brew as many styles as possible to hone your skills while you read and take in as much information as possible.  Truly the ONLY WAY to become a better brewer is simply to BREW MORE!!

Cheers -
Brewinhard

Offline Brew_page91

• 1st Kit
  • Brew as if it was the last!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 12:59:36 am »
Thanks all this will most definitely keep me busy between brews. @AmandaK thanks for the book list, I will read them till the pages fall off!!!

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Stay True to your Brew!