Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brun' Water vis. Mead  (Read 1395 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Brun' Water vis. Mead
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:54:49 pm »
I'm undoubtedly making this harder than it needs to be.  I've been planning to make a mead soon, and had wondered about the water profile that would be best, so I was very glad to see the article in the latest Zymurgy about the topic!

How do I set the water volume and any other parameters in Brun' Water so I can accurately manage the water chemistry?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brun' Water vis. Mead
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:01:08 pm »
I haven't read the article yet, but I'm sure you could just enter the volume of the batch into the mash volume box.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Brun' Water vis. Mead
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:03:52 pm »
I have been exploring this a bit. The problem is that honey is very acidic and the acidity varies greatly by varietal. So using BWS to try to figure out must pH is problematic. I also use potassium carbonate as a buffer, which falls outside of the tracked ions.

I have been using fairly soft water profiles (pilsen, etc.), built on RO, and then adjusting the pH up using potassium carbonate to hit about 5.0 pH before pitching my wine yeasts. I haven't tested any of this with ale yeasts - just not sure of the acid tolerance differences (if any). This combined with staggered nutrient additions (SNA) and I am getting fairly nice meads without needing a long aging period. I haven't tried any fairly hard profiles - yet. Maybe for a dry mead I might.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<