Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Protein rest necessary?  (Read 4001 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Protein rest necessary?
« on: September 01, 2015, 01:41:23 pm »
So my brother who has never brewed asked me if I would help him make a batch.  I told him to pick out a simple kit and I would help.  He picked out a kit that has an optional protein rest.  Having only done a handful of all grain batched myself, I have never done a protein rest.  I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler mash tun. 

Is this even needed and if so, what's the easiest way to accomplish this with a cooler mash tun?

The mash bill:

5 lbs Weyermann Pale Wheat
3 lbs Malteries Franco–Belges Pilsen Malt

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Protein rest necessary?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:50:15 pm »
Skip it.

If you really want to do it, you can mash thick to hit the first temperature and infuse more hot water to hit the second temperature.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:52:05 pm »
+1 to skip it. It's detrimental if anything, with today's highly modified malts.
Jon H.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:01:09 pm »
Even with that much wheat?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 07:06:07 pm »
It's malted wheat. If raw or flaked, maybe a protein rest would be beneficial. Now a pound of rice hulls might be worth tossing in there.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:04:42 am »
Skip.  Detrimental.  History that needs to die.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 01:57:26 pm »
I agree with the others.  Completely unnecessary wit today's malts.  Don't waste the time.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 05:26:47 pm »
Skip.  Detrimental.  History that needs to die.

Right, and to the point!  :)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:31:24 pm »
I guess the same question would remain for a beta and alpha rest.  Are those necessary?  Probably a dumb question but I'm very new to all grain.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 03:17:49 pm »
Mash at about 150 F and you'll hit the best of both alpha and beta.  And no need to wait a full hour or 90 minutes.  You'll get great results just mashing at 150 F for 45 minutes.  Save a few minutes and get the same results.  This works for >90% of all styles unless you want a super full or super dry beer.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 01:52:18 pm »
My own experience is that Dave is right - the sweet spot for both beta and alpha works on so many beers - some may need a bit of a temp raise for head retention or other reasons, but pretty much hit the sweet spot and then give it 45 minutes (longer if you are concerned or busy doing other things) and most of the mashes are done.  An all pilsner malt grist - tend to get at least 75 minutes for my system, but it probably doesn't need it.  For very light British styles, I will mash higher (168F or so) to get better body and if I want a more full bodied beer, I will mash around 154F.  I do single infusion almost all the time and won a club competition with a Hefeweizen that was single infusion mashed when almost everyone else decocted.

These modern well modified malts are darn near idiot proofed!  Protein rest is history for me, unless I intentionally were to use undermodified malts, which I have not done to date.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 06:37:00 am »
I am a tinkerer. I did a few step mashes based on Kai's calculations and frankly was unhappy with the outcome. The beers using the boiling water infusions had an odd finish. I am not educated enough to know if it was tannins but I know it was "something" unpleasant. I went back to a basic single infusion and hope the results get me back where I was which was pretty darn good beer.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 06:38:34 am by BrewBama »