Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: An exBEERiment Failed, or How I Lost 10 Gallons of Beer  (Read 1485 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
An exBEERiment Failed, or How I Lost 10 Gallons of Beer
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:06:11 am »
It was bound to happen. After nearly 18 months and over 40 successful tests since starting the xBmt series, I screwed up. Rather than sweeping it under the rug and pretending it never happened, I decided to share the story of how I lost 10 gallons of beer.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/03/an-exbeeriment-failed-or-how-i-lost-10-gallons-of-beer/

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: An exBEERiment Failed, or How I Lost 10 Gallons of Beer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:36:00 am »
Happens to the best of us. Glad it was an easily identifiable source!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:07:52 am »
Seven pitches is pushing it.  I have done up to 5 with lager yeasts, and the fifth ferment definitely had some non-lager character with it.  Three is about the most I would do with ale yeasts.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:59:20 am »
Aww man, that sucks!  Like Amanda said, at least you know the source of infection. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:57:30 am »
I have no problems with repitching Lagers for some reason, but the two contaminated batches I have ever had were ales - one due to double batching and using Iodophor on both despite sitting in the sun between batches.  The other was from a dry yeast that mutated slightly, I believe.

Keep up the good work, Marshall.  You are advancing the Homebrew knowledge base incredibly well.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 06:17:05 pm »
I strongly empathize considering my own recent issue with a couple of stored yeast samples.  The main difference is that I'm uber paranoid about it at the moment, since this was a relatively rare case for me.  I had isolated and stepped up some WLP028 and WY1728 collections since I've been brewing more Scots ales this year.  Well, when I brewed my BrewUnited Scotch Ale, I figured I'd make a 1L starter out of two of my small jars (since it's a really big beer).  I was nonplussed when the first jar I pulled had this thick crud at the top.  Apparently I had picked up a contamination in two jars since pulling another two turned up one with a slight film (I'd describe it as a starter pellicle).  I took a closer look at all the other jars, and only those two seemed to have issues, so they're going to get a special treatment.  But, my philosophy is to trust your senses and not assume.  I visually and olfactorily (not even sure if that's a word, but I'm going with it) checked all the rest before settling on the 2 I used.  Only the WLP ones had the issue curiously.  These were only 2nd generation, though, so I'm assuming more an isolated issue with those 2 jars (out of 10 or so).

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:45:22 am »
Most recently I have stopped storing yeast for more than 2-4 wks.  If I know I won't be using it again in that time frame, then I simply don't even bother saving it.  I have more peace of mind starting from a fresh pack.