Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Immersion Chiller in Fermenter  (Read 1748 times)

Offline finch13

• 1st Kit
Immersion Chiller in Fermenter
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:32:34 am »
Hi All,

I would like to have better control of my fermentation temperatures

Rather than going out and spending thousands, I am thinking of using my current fermenters, and using a stainless steel immersion chiller, pump, cool water reservoir, and temp switch to regulate fermentation temperature.

I have everything besides the immersion chiller.

Question is, how can I, in a sanitary way, get the immersion chiller tubes out of the top of the fermenter?  I have two types:  a plastic top from a minibrew conical, and a aluminum plate for a converted sanke keg.  the immersion chiller is a 3/8" stainless tube. 

does anyone have a great solution?
How about a solution that allows with or without the chiller?  (seal the holes when not in use)

Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Immersion Chiller in Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:33:22 am »
With all due respect, penny wise, pound foolish.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 10:39:04 am »
They must be big fermentors. I use 30L speidels and 3 fit into my 14cf freezer controlled by a ranco. Total cost $400 brand new.

Offline finch13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:44:37 am »
They must be big fermentors. I use 30L speidels and 3 fit into my 14cf freezer controlled by a ranco. Total cost $400 brand new.

Yeah, they're big, 15+ gallon guys
Like I said, one is a Sanke with a 12" hole in the top (like a keggle)  I have a machined aluminum plate, a closed cell foam seal, and a compression method.  Works pretty good.  I've used these for 10 years.

the other is this one: http://minibrew.com/product/48/

Large fermenters invariably come with this system I'm trying to design (albeit on a budget)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 10:46:44 am »
Stainless Brewing Technologies sells a system similar to what you are describing.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ftss/products/ftss-temp-control-for-7-gallon-bucket-chronical

Maybe you can borrow some of their ideas.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:47:49 am »
A grommet may work well. You would need to add it before the fittings on the chiller and it would be a semi-permanent install.

Offline finch13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 10:50:24 am »
Stainless Brewing Technologies sells a system similar to what you are describing.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ftss/products/ftss-temp-control-for-7-gallon-bucket-chronical

Maybe you can borrow some of their ideas.

This is exactly where I got the idea.  Now how to (removably) interface with the cover...

A grommet, like mentioned below, is the simplest, and probably the way to go