Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time kegger/Pouring a beer more tempting than ever  (Read 2644 times)

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
First time kegger/Pouring a beer more tempting than ever
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:27:12 am »
Hi all,

I'm a first time kegger, just got my system up and running and noticed how very tempting it is to pour a beer every time I walk by my keezer.  I brewed a Blonde and cant believe how great it taste out of the keg.  Trying to resist this is the hardest thing! 
Just wondering what other homebrewers think about the "Temptation" to pour and how they resist it when the time's not right to drink.
Thanks

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: First time kegger/Pouring a beer more tempting than ever
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:37:20 am »
This is why it is downstairs in the garage.  At least I get some exercise going up and down the stairs.  If I had the lines run upstairs to the kitchen, forget about it.

I still don't have taps on mine, so I have to open the top and pour from the cobra tap.  Once the taps are in, I may move into the garage.

Most importantly, drink in moderation...if I was drinking to just get drunk, I'd have never started homebrewing and would be drinking BMC.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hambone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 11:51:40 am »
Watch out for those damn beer gnomes! They strike when you least expect them. I had a full keg of my pale ale earlier this week and last night, the keg was dry!  :'(

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 01:27:06 pm »
Yep... out of sight, out of mind is the best way to resist...

Mine keezer is in my kitchen... I DID gain some lbs when I put it in, BUT I learned a whole bunch of new recipes, since I put beer in everything we made for a month or so.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:09:52 pm »
My lines are in my living room.  It's easier grabbing a beer than getting a glass of water and you never have the pile of empties the next morning to really give you a true sense of how much you are drinking.... I start drinking earlier and drink more than I did before the kegerator for sure (can't imagine working for the breweries back in the day).  The other problem is when you have a beer you don't care for on a line or need to free up kegs, I catch myself drinking a little extra to try and cash a line which probably isn't the healthiest habit.

On the positive side it has drastically cut down my bar bills (there's a good 3 or 4 decent beer bars within a few blocks).  It's also forced me to start focusing on session and lower ABV beers which has been a good thing.  I'm thinking that a ginger ale or lacto-soda might be a pretty smart option one of these days.  I've also considered a homemade energy drink but abandoned it for obvious reasons.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »
my stuff is out in the garage, which is close enough.  i just have to use will power...  although the beer i've  been carbing up a week is going to take a hit tonight.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:49 pm »
Thanks for the responses!  Out of sight, out of mind is the best way to go, but mine is in the kitchen.  Luckily, the blonde i have on tap is a session beer, so this is a great way to build up my will power!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:58:06 pm »
I guess I'm a little more disciplined in that I don't feel like pouring a beer every time I walk by my keg fridge.  It's in the living room/dining room where you walk about it every time you come through the kitchen to go to the bathroom or the bedrooms.  It is very nice not having the pile up of empty bottles though, that's for sure.
Jesse

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »
Smaller glasses. Big difference between a half litre Weiss glass and a std pilsner glass; well approx 4 oz, a third more, or twenty five percent less depending on how you want to look at it -  but if you drink that much less each pass it could help a bit.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 07:09:13 pm »
Even in the garage, it is has a strong ability to pull me in. Especially since I work afternoons. I was working in the yard today, got well into the 90's. At 11:30 it hit me hard. I am sure I was a bit dehydrated. I wanted a drink. Knowing I had to go to work still made it easier to pass but if it was my day off.... I would gone for one. Can't drink all day unless you start early. ;)

Good thing I keep my Diet Mt. Dews in there with the beer. Keeps me in check plenty.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:42:16 am »
When temptation hits, sometimes I'll just do a half pour (8 ounces?).  I drink less now than ever, but a new baby, and a drinking parter (wife) who doesn't drink as much are the main reasons for that.
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)