Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Southern pecan porter  (Read 1069 times)

Offline rugbymike

• 1st Kit
Southern pecan porter
« on: September 05, 2015, 07:15:04 am »
I am trying to make a porter for the first time. I am planning on using brown malt and dark munich malt.
My questions are:
I want to add whole pecans during the last 30 minutes of the boil. That should give it a pecan flavor I want. Right?
If I add whole bean favored coffee during the secondary fermenting, will that give it the coffee flavor minus the caffeine?

-Mike

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Southern pecan porter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 07:32:43 am »
Try emailing the Brewers at 512 in Austin. They have a pecan porter and may be willing to share tips.

Adding unmilled coffee will still give caffeine. Maybe the amount is less. If you are concerned, go with water process decaf coffee.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Southern pecan porter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 08:08:18 am »
I've never done this before, but I would toast the pecans in the oven for like 10 minutes, then crush them and add them to the mash.  This just seems like the best way to do it.  I wouldn't boil them, seems odd to me and might not taste right in the finished beer, and if you kept them whole, you wouldn't extract as much flavor.

Haven't done the coffee thing, don't know about the caffeine.  Seems a reasonable hypothesis to keep them whole to minimize the caffeine if you want to try that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:09:51 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 09:12:01 am »
You often see nuts added in the mash rather than the boil. I think you need that long warm rest to extract the flavors. I would be concerned about the boil extracting unwelcome tannins and other harsh flavors. I would also be concerned about scorching the pecans in the boil because I assume they will eventually sink to the bottom and stay there.

I don't think caffeine content is affected by whether the bean is ground any more or less than extraction of any other compounds, including the coffee flavor. Caffeine extraction is less at cooler temperatures so it might be easier to rack away from whole beans but to limit caffeine you want to do a post-fermentation steep. If you're dead set on keeping away from caffeine then you need to go with a decaf bean.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 10:47:26 am »
I've never done this before, but I would toast the pecans in the oven for like 10 minutes, then crush them and add them to the mash.  This just seems like the best way to do it.  I wouldn't boil them, seems odd to me and might not taste right in the finished beer, and if you kept them whole, you wouldn't extract as much flavor.

I've never done it either, but that's probably how I would do it too.