Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Interesting Flavor Not Use to  (Read 2784 times)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Interesting Flavor Not Use to
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 08:16:29 am »

Is this the first time you have ever tried German Weissbier (as opposed to American Wheat beers like Bell's Oberon, Widmer Hefe, Pyramid Hefe, or Harpoon UFO)?

The phenolic profile produced by the yeast you used is far different from the neutral profile of the American Wheat styles.  For a good example of German Weissbier, try something like Paulaner Hefeweizen, Franziskaner Weissbier, or Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier for comparison.

Just trying to understand your experience with this flavor profile in contexts other than this batch.  If you are unfamiliar with this style, you may have done things properly and are simply surprised by the flavor profile.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline garcastle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 01:15:10 pm »

Is this the first time you have ever tried German Weissbier (as opposed to American Wheat beers like Bell's Oberon, Widmer Hefe, Pyramid Hefe, or Harpoon UFO)?

The phenolic profile produced by the yeast you used is far different from the neutral profile of the American Wheat styles.  For a good example of German Weissbier, try something like Paulaner Hefeweizen, Franziskaner Weissbier, or Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier for comparison.

Just trying to understand your experience with this flavor profile in contexts other than this batch.  If you are unfamiliar with this style, you may have done things properly and are simply surprised by the flavor profile.

Definitely a chance of that.  Many years ago I did a partial grain wheat with a couple friends.  They were completely put off by it and didn't want a single bottle.  So I kept it all and it was dead on similar to a couple bottles of German weizen I had shortly after.  Some wheat yeasts are pleasant while others are pretty harsh.

Cheers,
G.

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 07:16:08 pm »
It's most likely the water.  It's from chlorine reacting with constituents of the malt to form something called chlorophenols.  If you didn't treat your water for chlorine, then this has got to be it.  And fortunately, it is very very easy to get rid of chlorine in your water in the future.  Before you begin your mash, all your water needs to be treated either through carbon filtration or even easier is 1/4 Campden tablet per 5 gallons, crushed and added to your water immediately prior to use.  Then this will never happen again!!
dmtaylor thank you for your insightful answer to my problem.  I am assuming this will not go away with age int eh beer so my only alternative is to throw the batch that I bottled away and start over right?  Damn, I am finished with two books out of the four of water yeast hops and malt, unfortunately water and yeast are left to read.  Oh well live and learn.  I have not noticed this in any of the other beers I have been brewing, is this only a symptom of Hef's? as I have brewed stouts, pilsners, american ales, IPA's etc. with no off tastes like this.

Are you using city municipal water?  It can change over time.  I know a guy who works for our water system in my city and he says they chlorinate heavily twice per year in the spring and the autumn.  Your own city's schedule could be similar, or entirely different.  But it is possible that on this batch you hit a chlorine surge.  That's what happened to me 15 years ago when I began to use Campden.  Before that, I was just lucky.

Another reason it might be specific to this batch is that the WLP300 yeast generates a lot more phenols than normal yeasts.  These phenols actually taste great, like cloves.  However, once the phenols combine chemically with chlorine to form chlorophenol, it will taste like medicine.

And yes, it is irreversible.  You might indeed need to dump this batch and start over.
Very true, I live in San Clemente Ca. and I just spoke with the water district and they confirmed the use of chlorine in the water system, and per your remarks dmtaylor, they up the amount in the summer months.  As you can imagine by our weather out here on the west coast, it is very prevalent.  So to solve all of these issues with chlorine and chloimine I have installed an inline all home 20" charcoal filter that I will run my water through, as it is a 5 micron filter I am confident that this will not only remove the chlorine but also the chlomine.  Anyway i will keep everyone informed of my next batch of Moonlight Honey Wheat Hef and the outcome from these great insights and knowledge.
Brewing is all I ever think about!