Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Stout Recipe  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
Imperial Stout Recipe
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:59:35 pm »
Hey guys, I'm putting together a large imperial stout that I will age in a freshly dumped 5 gallon bourbon barrel from a craft distiller

Let me know what you think

16 lbs Maris Otter
3 lbs flaked barley
1.5 lbs black barley
1 lb Carafa III
10 oz crystal 40
10 oz crystal 80
2 oz Warrior for 60min and 61 IBUs

Anticipated OG is 1.107
Will ferment with RVA Dublin Ale Yeast at 62 degrees Fahrenheit before racking into co2 purged barrel

I'm going for the burnt coffee/chocolate notes in the base beer
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:15:49 am by heavydeadlifts »
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Imperial Stout Recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 10:05:43 pm »
I would ditch the carafa, the c40, and the flaked barley. I would also add some chocolate malt. The black barley will make it plenty dark, too much Crystal will make the final gravity high, and flaked barley could make it have an odd mouth feel with the residual sugars.

Keep some DME on hand if this is your first big beer. Efficiency tends to go down for most folks.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
Imperial Stout Recipe
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 10:14:51 pm »
I would ditch the carafa, the c40, and the flaked barley. I would also add some chocolate malt. The black barley will make it plenty dark, too much Crystal will make the final gravity high, and flaked barley could make it have an odd mouth feel with the residual sugars.

Keep some DME on hand if this is your first big beer. Efficiency tends to go down for most folks.

The flaked barley was based on Jamil's recommendation for a dry Irish stout in Brewing classic styles to give it some mouthfeel. I do realize this is an imperial and not a dry Irish stout though

I don't want it bone dry, shooting for FG in 1.025-1.030 area so it isn't overwhelmed by the freshly dumped bourbon barrel

Should I add some flaked oats?

My reasoning on the Carafa was to add more of the chocolate flavor element to the beer. I get a very burnt acrid flavor from chocolate Malts and a chocolate note from Carafa personally

I hear you on the crystal though. I had those two in there because I have made the foreign extra stout out of brewing classic styles a few times (and it was great) which calls for both crystal 40 and 80

Thanks!

I actually get better efficiency with high gravity dark malted beers because my water supply is high in bicarbonate, it seems to dial in my ph and everything converts like magic without any manipulation on my part
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:18:24 pm by heavydeadlifts »
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline Stevie

Imperial Stout Recipe
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 07:35:03 am »
I don't think you should use any flaked grain. I don't think you will have trouble keeping a 1.107 beer above 1.025. The way your recipe is now, I would expect it to be ultra cloying and slick in an off way. Take a look at mike riddles imperial stout in bcs. His recipe is solid.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:42:05 am »
I don't get much chocolate out of Carafa. Have you tried chocolate malts from an English maltser? I think Thomas Fawcett chocolate malt adds a very nice amount of chocolatey flavor. I also find their black malt doesn't have the acrid notes some US maltsters have. I use a bunch of both in my RIS, in addition to their roasted barley.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:56:13 pm »
I agree that you have a bit too much flaked barley but I don't see your crystal malt amounts as an issue.  I would probably use different lovibonds though.  I would probably use a C60 and C120 for a RIS.  Just my personal preference though. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:12:22 pm »
I use C-80 in my imperial stout.  A mix of 40 and 80 could be just fine.  I think your amounts are fine.

I'd ditch some of the MO and replace it with sugar.  You could go with brown sugar if you like.  I use some in mine.  Honey tends to get lost in a beer like this.

As far as flaked, I use some oats and flaked wheat.

I target 1.099 with mine and it finishes in the teens.  Quite good and can stand up to oak, bourbon, chocolate, etc.

I think you have plenty of dark grains, but personally I go with chocolate, roast barley, and black.

I've got 10 gallons on the docket for tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.  5 will get coffee beans.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton