Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ten Drinks a Week  (Read 5157 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Ten Drinks a Week
« on: September 07, 2015, 08:46:41 am »
I went the past two weeks without alcohol to kick start some weight loss. It felt great, and obviously not having those empty calories helps.
My girlfriend and I were talking about how to go forward with better habits around drinking. We both love it but want to stay healthy. We aren't raging alcoholics, in fact neither one of us seems to have a physical addiction, just some bad habits. We also both hate being really drunk, but love the buzz of 1 or 2 drinks. We drink something most nights, often just 1 or 2 beers, glasses of mead, cocktails, or whisky (not 1 or 2 of each). But often, maybe a couple times a week I have enough to get a bit drunk and feel crappy the next morning. I know from experience that just saying we'll drink less or not drink on certain days is ineffective.

So we have started a ten drink a week rule. This puts us on average in the healthy 1-2 drinks a day range but gives us the flexibility to have a few drinks when friends are over for dinner or to let loose on special occasions etc. Its also realistic, I know we can do this. Basically it makes us think and make a decision each time we decide (or not) to drink.
Anyone ever do anything like this?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Ten Drinks a Week
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 09:00:15 am »
I'm sticking with the ten drinks a day rule.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:11 am »
I have been following my own variation of the "drinking mans diet" and it has helped shed a great deal of weight while being able to enjoy that nice relaxed loose feeling a good drink gives you

I basically have cut out all starchy carbs. Nothing white, no bread, no sugar, nothing that will expand and soak up space in my belly.

I stick to all meats and green leafy vegetables. Tons of asparagus, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, egg plant.

I also try to never have a drink when I have a full stomach because I will not get that satisfying feeling which accompanies a delicious well brewed beer

I find myself having 2-3 beers maybe 3-4 nights a week. I will abstain from all alcohol at least 3 nights a week
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:49 am »

Except for holidays.  You've got to be allowed to indulge on holidays.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:09:57 am »

Haha I wish there was a "like" button for this forum
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:15:21 am »
Maximum or minimum?  8)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 09:20:46 am »
I have been following my own variation of the "drinking mans diet" and it has helped shed a great deal of weight while being able to enjoy that nice relaxed loose feeling a good drink gives you

I basically have cut out all starchy carbs. Nothing white, no bread, no sugar, nothing that will expand and soak up space in my belly.

I stick to all meats and green leafy vegetables. Tons of asparagus, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, egg plant.

I also try to never have a drink when I have a full stomach because I will not get that satisfying feeling which accompanies a delicious well brewed beer

I find myself having 2-3 beers maybe 3-4 nights a week. I will abstain from all alcohol at least 3 nights a week
I won't do anything that will eliminate a whole category of food. It feels like deprivation (and it is!) and its not sustainable. I am cutting back on empty carbs but love bread and pasta. I will always have it but as a treat, not part of my everyday diet. I eat a very healthy plant-based diet with a fair amount of fish and poultry and cheese so not much to change there.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 09:44:44 am »
I do this also. I'm typically no more than 3-5 beers/week. If I know I'm going out one weekend with friends, I'll cut my weekday drinking so that I don't overindulge. I think setting a number is a good thing and it gives you a limit to follow.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 09:58:21 am »
I'm not going to limit myself on any particular day, but I try to have a glass of water to each beer, wine, Bourbon, Tequila, whatever.

Yesterday I worked in the garage, had two glasses of Prosecco with our mid-afternoon dinner (3pm), then four beers from 7pm until 11pm. Never felt one iota of a buzz and no ill effects this morning either. My typical MO is one to three beers in a day so four was rather odd, but today is a holiday.

Now as far as weight loss, skipping the alcohol will remove many calories, I'd rather drink the beer and exercise more. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 10:12:23 am »

Now as far as weight loss, skipping the alcohol will remove many calories, I'd rather drink the beer and exercise more. ;)

This is precisely my thoughts.

I like to have a beer or two after I bike, and I bike 30-40 minutes everyday after work. I guess I could cut out the beer and loss weight but then I would miss something I very much enjoy.
Ralph R.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 11:26:10 am »
I drink 2 or 3 homebrews each evening
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:27:37 am by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 11:37:05 am »

This is precisely my thoughts.

I like to have a beer or two after I bike, and I bike 30-40 minutes everyday after work. I guess I could cut out the beer and loss weight but then I would miss something I very much enjoy.
Another detail is that I enjoy alcohol very much but I'm not missing something I enjoy because I'm not cutting out the alcohol I enjoy, I'm cutting out the alcohol I DON'T ENJOY. A weekly limit makes me decide each time if I really want the drink, it will eliminate drinks that are just habit or the ones I have after I already have a buzz that will make me feel bad in the morning.
Also, I'm not trying to proselytize, I just thought its a good conversation to have here: how do we enjoy alcohol but still be healthy and happy. That means different things to different people, as it should, except for delusional beliefs. I think it also is different at different stages of life.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 12:08:13 pm »
I like to do stretches at a time without anything to drink. Usually 1-2 weeks per season of nothing to drink. The problem I have is that I usually start something else to make up for the calories. Starting November 1st, I try hard to cut out the alcohol, and other empty calories until Thanksgiving.
Kyle M.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 08:27:36 pm »
I never really set rules for myself with drinking, but I fall in the 3-5 drinks per week average pretty organically. I like to relax with a beer or drink at the end of the night when everything's done and it's time to relax. But there always seems to be a couple of days a week where I either don't get enough time to bother cracking into a brew, or i'm just not feeling it.

It also helps that my wife can't drink alcohol. I had an alcoholic parent, so I'm really not into drinking alone. That hits a bit too close to home for me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:29 am »
I'm going to have to do sober October and kickstart some weight loss. The past 2 years I've gained 30 pounds due to a bad back, hip, and neck. I can't run, bike, or weightlift - I can walk about 20 miles a week though. My neck keeps me from doing other stuff around the house; if I twist my neck wrong or hang upside down fixing things, I get a pounding migraine.

Typically, I'll have 1 drink during the week (normally tue or wed) and then have about 8 total during fri/sat/sun. However that's about 1/2 pound worth of calories in the drinks alone much less the additional food I eat during the buzz.

I tell you what though, I'd rather cut out the booze and have more to eat.