Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ten Drinks a Week  (Read 5214 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ten Drinks a Week
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:26:25 am »
I drink way too much...if I don't watch myself I can have 4 beers in an evening.  I'm working hard on getting that under control.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 10:45:40 am »

I drink way too much...if I don't watch myself I can have 4 beers in an evening.  I'm working hard on getting that under control.
I'm right with you Denny. I don't drink every night, but will drink 3-4 pints when I do. My solution is to brew more < 4% session beers. I don't get drunk and way less calories.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 10:50:27 am »
My drinking (amount) hasn't changed since becoming a brewer, but I do seek way more variety. Especially anything I haven't tried yet. A big drinking day for me is a six pack. Probably 3 days a week I just drink water.

I get a kick out of talking with beer drinking non brewers. They almost always assume I must be drunk all the time. I always have about 4-6 full cases on hand so that must equate to drinking it all. I think there's a lot of BMC folk who buy a half rack a day and never have any beer on hand. If its there you have to drink it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 10:55:17 am »
Same here.  I don't drink every night, usually weekends only now. But it's 3 or 4 when I do, not taking abv% into account. As mentioned by someone, a few more on most holidays. The older I get, it's quite a bit less fun to overdo it, though.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
Ten Drinks a Week
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:10:29 am »
I don't drink Sunday through Wednesday now.  With a little one around I think it's best.  If i drink a six pack of 5%over a 6 hour period I have a raging head ache the next day.  Tolerance is way down.  And I feel better.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:13:08 am by mharding73 »

narvin

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 11:23:25 am »
I try to listen to my body.  And it's telling me, I can't drink as much as when I was younger  ;)

I'll go days without a beer, but when an event happens, I may try a whole lot in one day.  I try to keep sample sizes down now if there's going to be lots of interesting bombers shared.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 11:44:54 am »
Yup, age plays into it for me. What does it mean when your too lazy to get drunk?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 12:05:12 pm »

Yup, age plays into it for me. What does it mean when your too lazy to get drunk?
It means you need a kegerator next to the la-z-boy with a picnic tap in the arm rest.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 02:06:43 pm »

I'm right with you Denny. I don't drink every night, but will drink 3-4 pints when I do. My solution is to brew more < 4% session beers. I don't get drunk and way less calories.

Unfortunately, I do drink every night.  Sometimes only one or two, but far too often 3-4.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 03:30:58 pm »

Unfortunately, I do drink every night.  Sometimes only one or two, but far too often 3-4.
We need to invent a timer lock so the fridge won't open or tap won't work unless you do ten minutes on the stairmaster first

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 03:32:27 pm »

We need to invent a timer lock so the fridge won't open or tap won't work unless you do ten minutes on the stairmaster first

Just got off the treadmill....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 03:43:45 pm »
Time locked faucets and fridges could be done easily with an arduino. Could even add an RFID reader to enable access.

Offline swenocha01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 04:28:56 pm »
I used to drink a couple a night,  and i used to brew big beers.   In the last few years,  I've switched to weekends only  (unless there is an event or tasting ), and only a few a day on the weekends (again,  unless an event).  I also brew mostly smaller beers now.   Health,  age,  metabolism,  etc...  much like others state.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 01:29:30 pm »
Ten drinks a week?  What am i supposed to do on Tuesday?     ;)

Seriously, that's probably not a bad plan.  Like many others on this thread I probably average 3 a night.  I have found that it seems more like a behavioral training thing though.  I can make 3 or trips to the kegorator a night but only fill each glass half full and still satisfied.  The next step was using smaller glasses and still only filling them half way.  Something seems to be not right if I only make one trip downstairs.

It worked for a while but didn't last.  The portion sizes tend to creep back up and that pint glass just feels "right" so I end back where I started.  It doesn't help to be an equal opportunity drinker either.  Happy? Angry? Depressed? Excited? Bored?  It's all the same.  Let's have a beer!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 06:13:29 pm »
I used to drink a couple a night,  and i used to brew big beers.   In the last few years,  I've switched to weekends only  (unless there is an event or tasting ), and only a few a day on the weekends (again,  unless an event).  I also brew mostly smaller beers now.   Health,  age,  metabolism,  etc...  much like others state.
I'm with you on the smaller beers thing. About 2/3 of my brews are in the 1.050 or lower range. If I want to get sloppy it should be because I planned on it, and not simply because I mistakenly had a pint of homebrew on an empty stomach.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer