Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I Know Its A Goat This Time - Review of Big Sky Scape Goat  (Read 1658 times)

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
I was given a bit of s*** for my “Antelope or Gazelle” review of Big Sky’s IPA but this time I know its a goat. You know why? Cuz it says it! That’s right, this week I am doing another Big Sky Beer. Scape Goat Pale Ale. I don’t normally do a beer from the same brand, mainly because I’m trying to work with these breweries to get more information so I can write better articles. In turn, I appreciate them sending me beer for my hard works. The first of its kind will be coming soon, I promise! Anyway, someone mentioned on one of the forums I like to go to that Big Sky Brewery is a model brewery. They brew great beer, sponsor community events, support local homebrewers and continue to be a great example for a brewery nationally and locally. I feel a little bad that the packaging has prevented me from trying any of the beers. So, I decided this week, I’d do Scape Goat Pale Ale.

Video Review of Big Sky Scape Goat Pale Ale

Packaging

I’m not going to say much here other than what I’ve said about their packaging before. It looks a little dated and I just can’t get over animals on the bottles. I just don’t like it. I do like that it mentions Pale Ale so I have at least a clue as to what is inside the bottle.

Appearance

Clear as day with a nice light copper hue. The head on it is nice and foamy, but doesn’t stick around to long, however, it does lace nicely on the sides.

Smell

Hoppy! Duh right? For a pale ale the hop aroma is on the higher side, which I don’t mind. I can’t pick out the strain of hops used, still working on that skill! Regardless, it has a nice subtle fruity, flowery hop aroma with little malt character. I do get a little biscuit or bread smell mixed in with a little caramel. It isn’t strong and I could just be looking to hard for something like that.

Taste

It doesn’t have much on the front end of taste. This leads me to believe that the malts are hidden behind a big bitter after taste. Low and behold, that is the case. Initially it could be mistaken to be a bit watered down because there is no sweetness upfront and the carbonation is a little light. But the hop taste and bitterness blow through at the end and stick with you a bit, kind of like a light IPA.

Mouthfeel

Like I mentioned. Its a bit light on the carbonation which gives it a very smooth, silky like mouthfeel. The bitter acids zip on the tongue while this medium bodied beer splashes through my teeth.

Drinkability

I definitely think there is some drinkability there. I could probably make a night out of a beer like this. However, the bitter after taste does remind me of an IPA and I’ve yet to determine if that is something I want to make a night out of. If you like a bitter after taste, this is definitely a beer to try. Its smooth, bitter, dry and easy to drink.

Overall

A very good beer from what I understand to be a very good brewery. I love the local business supporting the community and I suppose is one reason why so many people always say, “Drink Local” right? I heard a statistic that a dollar spent locally will go through the community an average of 7 times before making it out. That is pretty sweet and a great reason to support your local brewers. Anyway, I’d for sure give this brew a try. Its tasty with a very subtle malt character that is a bit dominated by hop flavor, aroma and bitterness. I like it because its smooth and dry.

How bout you?

Have you tried it? Whad’ya think?