Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 3787 for Weizenbock  (Read 1173 times)

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
Wyeast 3787 for Weizenbock
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:47:58 am »
I have a 3787 yeast cake, and I'm in the mood for a weizenbock.  If I use a standard weizenbock recipe could I get close?  OR would I be better off doing a dubbel or tripel, something more Belgian?
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Wyeast 3787 for Weizenbock
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:52:38 am »
I don't think you'd end up with anything that resembles a weizenbock using 3787, which is NOT to say it won't taste good - just not weizenbock. Something more Belgian would also taste good. Hope this helps.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:02:55 am »
I don't think you'd end up with anything that resembles a weizenbock using 3787, which is NOT to say it won't taste good - just not weizenbock. Something more Belgian would also taste good. Hope this helps.
It does help! My mind needs to be put in check. Thanks.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:16:48 am »
I say go for it. It obviously won't be a dead ringer for 3068, but (depending on fermentation temp schedule) there'll be some banana and spice like you'd normally get in weizenbock. Sounds good to me !
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:41:32 am »
You're more likely to taste it and think you made a quad than a weizenbock. That's not a bad thing.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:13:52 pm »
You're more likely to taste it and think you made a quad than a weizenbock. That's not a bad thing.

Quad was on the back burner, maybe 90% pils, 10% dark syrup, pinch of aromatic and call it a day.

Then, I'll do a weizenbock with 3068 which seems more appropriate... I wanted the weizenbock done around the holidays.  I thought it might have been probable with a big 3787 cake.  Now, I'm not too sure if I can get a high SG Quad out by then? But thats for a different post. 

If my heart is set on weizenbock I should do the right yeast and not be disappointed later. Thanks!