Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flat Quad in the Bottle  (Read 1186 times)

Offline willm85

• 1st Kit
    • Beertastic Voyage Podcast
Flat Quad in the Bottle
« on: October 06, 2015, 06:23:37 pm »
So I brewed a 9.8% quad which I attempted using maple syrup to prime. After 6 weeks in the bottle I still have no carbonation. I tried popping a few bottles to drop carbonation drops in them, thinking the maple syrup was less fermentable that I thought, and recapped. A week after adding carbonation drops there's still no hint of bubbles.

I'm wondering if I should try re-hydrating some dry yeast and add some to each bottle with a dropper before re-capping as I think dumping all the bottles back into a bucket and re-bottling for there will introduce too much oxygen.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Offline smokeymcb

• Cellarman
  • The Cooker of the Foods
Re: Flat Quad in the Bottle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:47:01 pm »
I'd be weary.  If your yeast was krapped out, then you've now got twice the amount of priming sugar in each bottle then should be there.  If you add new yeast and it ferments out all that sugar, you could be in bursting bottle territory.  Its hard to say what to do but I might pour it back into a bucket, add high gravity yeast and a touch of DME and let it ferment out again.  Hopefully the yeast would use up the added oxygen, then try to bottle again.  I'm no expert though...
Anyone got a lighter??

Rob C.