Author Topic: Do commercial brewers want to know when you find an infected bottle?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewer
  • Rocky Mount, VA
    • View Profile
Tonight I opened a pale ale from a local brewery and I could tell something was a little off kilter with the amount of carbonation in the headspace. It wasn't a gusher but when I poured it into a glass, it was ALL head which quickly filled the glass. I got a second glass and still wasn't able to pour the complete beer into the glass. It had a distinct musty, sour flavor as well. and LOTS of bubbles.

Are commercial breweries interested in finding out about infected brews or is it just a matter of "oh well'. Not that I want anything free, in fact I don't. From a homebrewers point of view, I'd want to know if there was a potential vector for infection in my brewery. Would you email the brewery and alert them?

Just wonder out of my own curiosity. I think this is the first commercial brew I've ever gotten that was possibly infected.

Thanks for any input. 
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Do commercial brewers want to know when you find an infected bottle?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:58:11 PM »
Yes they will want to know. What they do about it is a different story. A brewery with a valuable brand will take care of the issue and work to minimize the fallout. Infections in bottles don't just ruin the beer, they could cause bottle bombs if there is enough residual sugar in the beer.

Offline Steve L

• Brewer
  • Rocky Mount, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 11:06:49 PM »
I'll probably email them then. I saved the bottle. THe head calmed down after a half an hour and what I tasted was a VERY fruity, sharp, tanic, musty, cidery flavor. No pleasant at all.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:01 PM »
Yeah, they need to know whether they like it or not.
Jon H.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:15:05 PM »
I would probably let the brewery know, but
I would take them back to the store and get a refund.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline Steve L

• Brewer
  • Rocky Mount, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 11:23:17 PM »
I would probably let the brewery know, but
I would take them back to the store and get a refund.
Nah, I've never returned beer, yet, LOL. It was a single bottle. Came close once. Bought some IPA's from an un-tried store only to find them over 2 years old. Still didn't return them, although I should have. As far as this instance goes, I though about it more from a homebrewer stance trying to help out a fellow brewer. ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Steve L

• Brewer
  • Rocky Mount, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 12:02:28 AM »
Wow, received a response to my email within 30 minutes from one of the owners. They seemed to show genuine concern and offered to replace my one bottle with a six pack. This type of customer service and concern with quality is an example of why the craft brewing industry will, IMO, continue to thrive. ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:22 AM »
Wow, received a response to my email within 30 minutes from one of the owners. They seemed to show genuine concern and offered to replace my one bottle with a six pack. This type of customer service and concern with quality is an example of why the craft brewing industry will, IMO, continue to thrive. ;)
I don't know that it speaks of the entire craft brewing community at large, but it does show that this particular brewery seems to have the right priorities.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chrifive916

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »
Very dependent upon the brewery.  I had a beer from a local brewery that was horribly sour,  when I informed them they did not really care about it.  They offered me a refund,  but no questions about where the beer was purchased or what the bottling date was.  I was very unimpressed and have not bought one of their beers since.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »
Two for two with me ...

I bought a few bottles of Rogue's Double Dead guy from the same retailer. All of the bottles were skunked and crappy. Rogue sent me replacements, a few extras, and a homebrew recipe for Double Dead Guy (my request). The recipe was from John Maier himself.

I also had a bad bottle of a Tenaya Creek Brewery DIPA. They replaced it with a few bottles.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 11:09:09 PM »
Two for two with me ...

I bought a few bottles of Rogue's Double Dead guy from the same retailer. All of the bottles were skunked and crappy. Rogue sent me replacements, a few extras, and a homebrew recipe for Double Dead Guy (my request). The recipe was from John Maier himself.

I also had a bad bottle of a Tenaya Creek Brewery DIPA. They replaced it with a few bottles.
Skunked means light struck, as in exposed to light. If it is really skunked, that's not the brewery's fault.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 12:22:32 AM »
Two for two with me ...

Skunked means light struck, as in exposed to light. If it is really skunked, that's not the brewery's fault.
Unless they bottle in green bottles, then it is their fault ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 12:51:27 AM »
Two for two with me ...

Unless they bottle in green bottles, then it is their fault ;)
I agree 100%.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »

Very dependent upon the brewery.  I had a beer from a local brewery that was horribly sour,  when I informed them they did not really care about it.  They offered me a refund,  but no questions about where the beer was purchased or what the bottling date was.  I was very unimpressed and have not bought one of their beers since.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If you purchase a bad beer from the  retailer, inform the retailer. Once beer leave the brewery, it is beyond brewery control. You can inform them about your experience but do not expect replacement from them. If you insist on replacement, ask the retail location where you purchased it. Proof of purchase is a good thing.
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 02:51:40 PM »
I have notified breweries of off favors, but only if I personally knew the brewers. 
One time they emailed me back that they sampled another bottle from the same batch and confirmed a problem.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995