Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone Ruination 2.0  (Read 1835 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Stone Ruination 2.0
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:12:52 pm »
I'd heard mixed reviews (mostly solid), but to me it's a pretty nice beer. Bought some from Costco, bottled 7/28. Given that it sat there warm for most of a month, the hop character is pretty strong - per Stone, it's Magnum, Nugget, Centennial, Azacca, Citra, and Simcoe.  Pale orange, fairly dry, strong (8.5%ish) but subtle alcohol, nice foam, crystal in check.. Nice bitterness, big hop flavor and aromas of pine, citrus, peach, mango. I assume they bitter with Magnum and Nugget and use a healthy amount of the others late, given the hop flavor and aroma. My only ding is how I feel about the style in general now - the alcohol provides its own sweetness which detracts from drinkability, and unless you have a bunch of friends over it's tough to drain a DIPA before the awesome hop character leaves town (personally, I hop like DIPA in a 1.064 beer, just me). I completely give Stone (unlike other breweries) thumbs up for the foresight not to be set in their ways - I loved Ruination 1.0 for how it challenged the ideas of IPA, but with new methods of late hopping it was time for an upgrade.  This isn't RuinTen or some of the Enjoy By IPAs, but as their new readily available DIPA and an upgrade to original Ruination, I have to say I'd buy it again. Good stuff.
Jon H.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Stone Ruination 2.0
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:59:54 pm »
Just had one tonight.  Like the 2.0.   Good beer for sure. 

Offline Blessed with Bones

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:01:16 am »
A very solid review. I would agree with this basically word for word.
Blessed with Bones

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:38:20 pm »
bitter with Magnum and Nugget and use a healthy amount of the others late, given the hop flavor and aroma.

I read in BYO that they only bitter in the kettle.  Everything else is whirlpool and dry hop, so you are probably correct.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 09:09:07 am »
I need to give this a try again. I had it at Liberty Station when I was in San Diego and was not too impressed with it or the Pale Ale 2.0 but they had a black wit on tap that I kept going back to. Stone is a very hit and miss kind of brewery for me but I guess a lot of them are.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:17:41 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 10:32:21 am »
I need to give this a try again. I had it at Liberty Station when I was in San Diego and was not too impressed with it or the Pale Ale 2.0 but they had a black wit on tap that I kept going back to. Stone is a very hit and miss kind of brewery for me but I guess a lot of them are.

I had Ruination 2.0 at NHC (can't remember the little sports bar's name on property), and it had a distinct coconut note that I really didn't like (I don't like coconut).  Had it recently and there was none of it and I enjoyed it.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 10:41:31 am »

I had Ruination 2.0 at NHC (can't remember the little sports bar's name on property), and it had a distinct coconut note that I really didn't like (I don't like coconut).  Had it recently and there was none of it and I enjoyed it.
Dirty lines?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:27:21 pm »
I'm not typically a big fan of commercial DIPA's, but this is a good one. Bitterness is firm, but not bracingly so. The aroma is real nice - pine, citrus and dank. I'd like more hops in the flavor, but it's still pretty solid.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 07:11:05 am »

Dirty lines?

Yeah, that's what I suspect now.  At the time, I figured it was maybe an experimental hop that was throwing that note (since I recalled hearing of one or two).  Now I suspect that they had some beer that had either coconut or chocolate in it on before that and didn't clean the lines well.  Certain chocolates (and even some chocolate malts) throw a coconut note for me.