Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Comperable features to the Thermapen at just over half the price?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
Comperable features to the Thermapen at just over half the price?
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:23:35 am »
I love my Thermapen, and I don't apologize for that fact.  However, I recently got the chance to review the Lavatools Javelin PRO, which claims similar features at just over half the price.  When all was said and done, I was impressed - I feel like it is definitely worth a look.

If you care to read (or see some pictures), here is my full review of the Javelin PRO.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Comperable features to the Thermapen at just over half the price?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:21:07 pm »
Nice write up. I have the Thermoworks RT600C and really like it. I couldn't justify spending almost $100 on a thermometer. Even though the RT600C is slightly slower than the Thermapen and not quite as accurate the price point was more in line with what I was willing to spend.

Offline RES291QUE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:03:22 am »
I have to agree this is a good write up, confused as your edit at the bottom of your write up said it was the regular Javelin.  I'd like to know witch one it actually is as I'm going to look into buying one.  Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:11:48 am »
Nice write up. I have the Thermoworks RT600C and really like it. I couldn't justify spending almost $100 on a thermometer. Even though the RT600C is slightly slower than the Thermapen and not quite as accurate the price point was more in line with what I was willing to spend.

+1. Same one I have. Very nearly the same performance for $20.
Jon H.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:18:12 am »
Yes, it did turn out to be the regular Javelin; Lavatools sent me the wrong one.  Which makes it an even better deal.

I used it again last night when making a starter.  The numbers on it are more "bouncy" than my Thermapen, and it takes slightly longer to settle in - but it always comes very close to the same reading.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:48:26 am »
Yes, it did turn out to be the regular Javelin; Lavatools sent me the wrong one.  Which makes it an even better deal.

I used it again last night when making a starter.  The numbers on it are more "bouncy" than my Thermapen, and it takes slightly longer to settle in - but it always comes very close to the same reading.
Just received my Javelin ($24.99 and free 2 day shipping w/Amazon Prime).  It seems to be the exact same one as in your review.  I don't understand this "regular" Javelin vs. "not regular"(?) thing.  What am I missing?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:35 am »
There is a new Javelin PRO version that's supposed to be a little better.  It costs twice as much, but still half that or a Thermapen.  Lavatools was supposed to send me the PRO, but sent the regular one.

Offline RES291QUE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:55:37 pm »
Awesome thanks a bunch was getting ready to buy an extra thermometer so this will definitely be something to look at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 05:37:41 am »
I like to use my Thermapen for cooking, as well.  The speed at which it works means I don't lose as much heat when opening a grill cover and don't have to hold it over hot liquids for extended periods.  But I admit that it is pricey - they are introducing a new model called MK 4 with new features, so I expect the regular Thermapen to be on sale as it is phased out...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:19:05 pm »
But I admit that it is pricey - they are introducing a new model called MK 4 with new features, so I expect the regular Thermapen to be on sale as it is phased out...

The thermapen "classic" is now $79.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC