Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic Mash Tun Safety  (Read 5479 times)

Offline adeluca

• 1st Kit
Plastic Mash Tun Safety
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:17:48 am »
Does anyone have any current information/data on the safety of using plastic coolers as a mash tun? I have read posts on this topic, but they are a few years old.  Igloo website says not to use coolers with hot liquids.  Many of the homebrew online stores are selling their own versions of all-grain systems utilizing coolers.  I have contacted two of them and they do not seem to have data on the construction materials.  Maybe I am being overly concerned, but if I am making the effort to make my own beer at home, I don't want to increase exposure to any toxins as a result.  If anyone has any updated information, I would gladly appreciate it.
Thank you.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Plastic Mash Tun Safety
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:38:17 am »
In most cases of coolers we're talking about HDPE. Everything I've seen about HDPE is that it can have continuous use at temperatures into the 200s °F. Since I never get to even 200F in mine I've stopped looking for any further information at that point.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 08:26:52 am »
Listen to the presentation from this year's NHC on Homebrew toxicology, as well as the podcasts on the same topic on Basic Brewing Radio. The basic gist is that there is very little concern with exposure to anything toxic in plastic coolers, even at hot temperature. I'd just give it one or two rinses with hot water prior to use. Any residues that are remaining after manufacturing are water soluble and will rinse out easily.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:50:58 am »
I think the inside of a lot of coolers are polypropylene, which is food safe and generally tolerant of heat.

The igloo cooler warning seems to be related to the insulation inside.  I've had a round sparge water cooler warp due to adding boiling water, but never an issue with mashing.

"The beverage coolers are not recommended for use with hot liquids. The hot
liquid can cause the insulation in the cooler to expand causing the liner or
outside body to crack. If you plan on using hot liquids this will void your 1
year warranty. "

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:41 am »
Listen to the presentation from this year's NHC on Homebrew toxicology, as well as the podcasts on the same topic on Basic Brewing Radio. The basic gist is that there is very little concern with exposure to anything toxic in plastic coolers, even at hot temperature. I'd just give it one or two rinses with hot water prior to use. Any residues that are remaining after manufacturing are water soluble and will rinse out easily.
Or if one reads it they will find that the dose you get is very small. "The dose makes the poison".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:35:07 am »
I have contacted two of them and they do not seem to have data on the construction materials.

I don't know about other manufacturers, but the interior liners of Igloo coolers are made of FDA-grade polypropylene.

http://www.igloocoolers.com/FAQs#q4
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline adeluca

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 06:34:19 pm »
Listen to the presentation from this year's NHC on Homebrew toxicology, as well as the podcasts on the same topic on Basic Brewing Radio.

Thank you, do you happen to have the link to the NHC presentation?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 06:55:57 pm »
Listen to the presentation from this year's NHC on Homebrew toxicology, as well as the podcasts on the same topic on Basic Brewing Radio.

Thank you, do you happen to have the link to the NHC presentation?
You need to be a member of the AHA to access it:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/

Go under 2015 and find the "Homebrew Toxicology" presentation
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 12:38:50 pm »
Or if one reads it they will find that the dose you get is very small. "The dose makes the poison".

There is an "infectious dose" that gets discussed in environmental engineering.  Every time you are in a public restroom and someone flushes a stall toilet there is no helping that you will inhale fecal matter; however, it simply isn't enough to make you sick.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 01:26:02 pm »

There is an "infectious dose" that gets discussed in environmental engineering.  Every time you are in a public restroom and someone flushes a stall toilet there is no helping that you will inhale fecal matter; however, it simply isn't enough to make you sick.
Poo is everywhere.

There was a Mythbusters that showed it is all over your bathroom at home too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:27:34 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 01:39:30 pm »

Poo is everywhere.

I think you've got a new sig line, Jeff!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 04:49:39 pm »

Poo is everywhere.

Not mine!  Ha Ha!

I bet its all over my toothbrush right on the sink next to the toilet....excuse me I have to go brush now.