Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to brew an excellent pumpkin ale - tried and true tips  (Read 4271 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: How to brew an excellent pumpkin ale - tried and true tips
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 05:53:40 pm »
For the last 10 years, I have brewed beer for the office Christmas open house.  The company pays for my ingredients, as well as some brewing gear on occasionally, so it has worked out well for all parties.

A couple of years ago one of the VPs told me he had a bumper crop of pumpkins this year, including pie pumpkins.  Great! I replied, I will brew a pumpkin beer this year.

I cut them up, seeded them, and put them in the oven to roast.  What I did not factor in, is that freshly harvested pumpkins have A LOT OF LIQUID in them.

So, while I was merrily getting the brew started up down in the basement, my wife comes home to find the oven smoking like a chimney from all the liquid oozing out of the cut up pumpkin roasting.\

I continued anyway.

At the Christmas party, 2 months later, I received a few compliments on the pumpkin ale.  But personally, I could taste kitchen smoke in every sip.

I will never brew another pumpkin ale again.  (And to start with, I am with Denny.  I have always hated them. Biggest. Beer. Gimmick. Ever.  [Okay, session IPA has surpassed that]).  :)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 07:11:27 pm »
For the last 10 years, I have brewed beer for the office Christmas open house.  The company pays for my ingredients, as well as some brewing gear on occasionally, so it has worked out well for all parties.

A couple of years ago one of the VPs told me he had a bumper crop of pumpkins this year, including pie pumpkins.  Great! I replied, I will brew a pumpkin beer this year.

I cut them up, seeded them, and put them in the oven to roast.  What I did not factor in, is that freshly harvested pumpkins have A LOT OF LIQUID in them.

So, while I was merrily getting the brew started up down in the basement, my wife comes home to find the oven smoking like a chimney from all the liquid oozing out of the cut up pumpkin roasting.\

I continued anyway.

At the Christmas party, 2 months later, I received a few compliments on the pumpkin ale.  But personally, I could taste kitchen smoke in every sip.

I will never brew another pumpkin ale again.  (And to start with, I am with Denny.  I have always hated them. Biggest. Beer. Gimmick. Ever.  [Okay, session IPA has surpassed that]).  :)
Session Belgian DIPA served from a Pumpkin Randall

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 06:06:50 am »

I continued anyway.

Session Belgian DIPA served from a Pumpkin Randall
Ironically I find DIPAs more session able than Sassoon ipas.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 10:37:44 am »
So, have you done a triangle tasting with the beer brewed with and without pumpkin?

I have.

Okay...I'll bite.  What were your findings?

Pumpkin doesn't matter.  Only a single data point, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 11:12:24 am »
So, have you done a triangle tasting with the beer brewed with and without pumpkin?

I have.

Okay...I'll bite.  What were your findings?

Pumpkin doesn't matter.  Only a single data point, though.
I've never brewed one, but if I did it would have no pumpkin in it. Just a touch of pumpkin pie spice in the tail end of the boil and a neutral bittering hop. That would be my plan. Maybe to enhance the spicey pie aspect I'd use a belgian yeast. Or, brew a dark belgian strong and tell people its a harvest beer, leave it at that.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2015, 10:08:13 am »
Okay, Denny - I address that in the intro.  :P

It's all about personal tastes, huh?  Just because I've never found one I like dosen't mean that other people shouldn't like them.

Have you tried Elysian Night Owl?  Mine is pretty similar to this, pumpkin pie in a glass
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
Night owl is one of the only pumpkin beers I like.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 01:20:41 pm »
Night owl is one of the only pumpkin beers I like.

Actually, on htinking about it, I kinda like Oakshire's Big Black Jack, a spiced pumpkin beer with chocolate.  Not the kind of beer I'd suck down pint after pint, but I wouldn't pour it out, either@
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 05:25:13 pm »
In my experience using pumpkin in the mash gives some color and mouthfeel, and makes for a bright orange mash  :o
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:34:58 pm by snowtiger87 »
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout