Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My new fermenter isn't bubbling like my carboy  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
My new fermenter isn't bubbling like my carboy
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:31:14 pm »
I bought a Speidel fermenter.  I love it, but I can't figure out why the airlock doesn't behave like my carboy's airlock.  The spigot allows me to take samples easily, and although it is obvious that fermentation is occuring, the airlock won't move.  When the beer begins to reach final gravity the air lock will remained suspended (imagine the airlock moving upwards and not falling back down).  I wonder if I can't get the seal on the lid correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: My new fermenter isn't bubbling like my carboy
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:00:12 pm »
Ive found that the large size makes it bubble less, and they are usually tiny bubbles like fish eggs in the starsan. Except for this morning when I found my 1056 had blown the orange cap off...

narvin

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:53:27 pm »
If it never bubbles, your lid isn't sealed tight.  This won't affect the beer unless you're aging for months.

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:30:48 pm »
Ive found that the large size makes it bubble less, and they are usually tiny bubbles like fish eggs in the starsan. Except for this morning when I found my 1056 had blown the orange cap off...

I have noticed the small bubbles when the lock is "suspended" like I mentioned above.  The excessive head room factor makes a lot of sense.