Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bringing yeast back from the dead...  (Read 3268 times)

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
Re: Bringing yeast back from the dead...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 11:47:07 am »
Thanks for the clarification on slants.  I had thought that the hardiness was supposed to be a big advantage for using that method... yay for me not having misremembered.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 02:08:31 pm »
WINNER!

I loved CL300.  Seems like it was Westmalle yeast.  What do you think?

There were a lot of great cultures in the BrewTek collection, many of which have made their way into the collections held by White Labs and Wyeast Labs.  My favorite ales strains were CL-170 Classic British Ale and CL-210 Scottish Bitter.  I brewed a lot of beer with those two cultures.  I am almost certain that CL-170 is the strain that was used at Young's Ram Brewery, which is offered by Wyeast as 1768 and White Labs as WLP033 (neither propagator appears to be currently propagating this strain).   I have no idea as to the origin of CL-210. It was a unique ale strain.  I am certain that Chris White has CL-210 squirreled away cryostorage with all of the other cultures that he has collected over the years.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:14:54 am by S. cerevisiae »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 02:33:42 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on slants.  I had thought that the hardiness was supposed to be a big advantage for using that method... yay for me not having misremembered.

The true beauty in slant-based storage is purity, that is, as long as the slant was inoculated with a single colony or a slant that was inoculated from a single colony source (i.e., all liquid cultures need to be plated for singles before being transferred to slant).  Slants are much purer than liquid cultures because they are propagated under sterile (aseptic) conditions.  One thing that I really like about slants is that they can be visually inspected for contamination.  Yeast, mold, and bacteria are generally noticeably different looking on solid media.  One will know fairly quickly if one needs to work on one's aseptic technique.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:29:15 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 02:36:47 pm »
I've considered getting into slants, but have yet to do so.  Maybe I should. 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 03:36:33 pm »
Slants are how we used to obtain the good strains back in the nineties (Wyeast 1450 was originally sold on slant as CL-50).  BrewTek sold strains on mini-slants that were made in small centrifuge tubes.  Handling those little tubes is a how I perfected the ability to remove and hold a culture tube cap with the pinky of the hand in which I hold my nichrome loop while holding one or two culture tubes in the other hand.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:19:32 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 09:18:04 am »
Slants are how we used to obtain the good strains back in the nineties (Wyeast 1450 was originally sold on slant a CL-50).  BrewTek sold strains on mini-slants that were made in small centrifuge tubes.  Handling those little tubes is a how I perfected the ability to remove and hold a culture tube cap with the pinky of the hand in which I hold my nichrome loop while holding one or two culture tubes in the other hand.

I remember that maneuver!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 10:09:16 am »
WINNER!

I loved CL300.  Seems like it was Westmalle yeast.  What do you think?

There were a lot of great cultures in the BrewTek collection, many of which have made their way into the collections held by White Labs and Wyeast Labs.  My favorite ales strains were CL-170 Classic British Ale and CL-210 Scottish Bitter.  I brewed a lot of beer with those two cultures.  I am almost certain that CL-170 is the stain that was used at Young's Ram Brewery, which is offered by Wyeast as 1768 and White Labs as WLP033 (neither propagator appears to be currently propagating this strain).   I have no idea as to the origin of CL-210. It was a unique ale strain.  I am certain that Chris White has CL-210 squirreled away cryostorage with all of the other cultures that he has collected over the years.
He also has Dan McConnell's yeast bank.
http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp351-bavarian-weizen-yeast
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 10:24:35 am »
I remember that maneuver!

Working with those itty-bitty tubes made working with full-size culture tubes a breeze.