Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lactic Acid 88% Safety  (Read 3729 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Lactic Acid 88% Safety
« on: March 13, 2016, 05:42:23 am »
I've read the MSDS, but curious how safe lactic 88% is to handle? It's pretty syrupy and I figure at some point some may drip on my skin.

Does anyone take special precautions on there brewing gear, clothing, skin etc?

RPIScotty

Re: Lactic Acid 88% Safety
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 05:52:33 am »

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 05:57:00 am »
I use it in many lighter colored recipes that to help keep the mash pH in an appropriate range. I take no special precautions when using it.  If I get some on my skin, I rinse it off well.  That's about it. 

Oh yeah, and I don't drink from the bottle.... ;)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 06:06:02 am »
I have used 88% lactic acid for years with no issues at all. Rinse it off if you get some on you, but otherwise no worries. It's pretty safe as acids go. If you've ever used CLR for cleaning, it's the same stuff.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 06:22:24 am »

Oh yeah, and I don't drink from the bottle.... ;)
Yeah, we're not savages! I mixed mine w some seltzer before drinking.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:19:23 am »
I have used 88% lactic acid for years with no issues at all. Rinse it off if you get some on you, but otherwise no worries. It's pretty safe as acids go. If you've ever used CLR for cleaning, it's the same stuff.

Definitely. Lactic is one of the 'safer' acids since it does not fume and isn't highly active. I've had it on me and had no problem getting it off my skin and avoiding a burn when washed off quickly. The main ingredient in CLR is lactic acid, but please don't use that since there are other chemicals in there and you have no assurance that its food-safe.

High strength phosphoric acid is similar to lactic acid and has similar handling cautions. You must keep it off sensitive organs like eyes and mucous membranes and you need to avoid skin contact. If it gets on your skin, you must wash it off immediately.

Using these acids is not a morbid potential for doom and bodily injury. Recognize that these are dangerous chemicals that could seriously damage equipment and yourself. Treat them with great respect and care. Use appropriate measuring and dosing equipment so that you avoid coming into contact with the acids in the first place. Medicine droppers and pipettes with suction bulbs are ideal for handling acids and they should keep you out of trouble.

What was the 9/11 mantra? Don't be afraid, be alert.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 10:09:59 am »
I'm clumsy and sloppy and have spilled it on myself many times.  About the same effects as spilling water on myself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 04:26:49 pm »
I'm clumsy and sloppy and have spilled it on myself many times.  About the same effects as spilling water on myself.
Melting?