Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian/American IPA w/ Mosaic, Centennial, & Citra?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Belgian/American IPA w/ Mosaic, Centennial, & Citra?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 07:07:00 pm »
I just brewed an IPA with exactly that amount of late hops (Equinox and Columbus) + 6 oz dry, so I don't think that's too much by any means  ;D .  It'll be great. IBU numbers are relative to a lot of factors - the exact same recipe bittered with Warrior vs Columbus definitely doesn't seem like the same IBUs IMO.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »
Amanda, recipe looks good to me now with those amounts.  Though you still won't be able to taste any Centennial.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

narvin

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 09:13:52 pm »
For the Belgian half, I can tell you what I'd do to avoid making the kind of Belgian IPA I don't like.  Maybe using this wort for both beers would give you a unique take on American IPA.

-Use some pilsner malt. Avoid crystal malt.  Add some Munich or aromatic for color.
-Keep sulfates below 100ppm.
-Use acid to bring kettle pH down to 5.3-5.4
-Avoid bubblegum flavors. This might mean fermenting some yeasts in the mid 60s, like 3522.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 06:26:49 am »
I just brewed an IPA with exactly that amount of late hops (Equinox and Columbus) + 6 oz dry, so I don't think that's too much by any means  ;D .  It'll be great. IBU numbers are relative to a lot of factors - the exact same recipe bittered with Warrior vs Columbus definitely doesn't seem like the same IBUs IMO.

Yep. Warrior/Herkules are the only bittering hops I use anymore. They're predictable and must have low CoH because they never come across as harsh. Same reason I like HopShots actually.

Amanda, recipe looks good to me now with those amounts.  Though you still won't be able to taste any Centennial.

Probably not, but throwing it in can't hurt. Maybe it'll give me some tertiary floral hop aromas.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 09:23:09 am »
For a Belgian IPA, I'd lose the MO...for that matter, I don't even care for it in an AIPA!  I light a lighter malt presence that doesn't get in the way.  especially for a Belgo/AM IPA.

This is the one time I'm going to have to disagree with you, Denny!  ;D  I like when IPAs have a biscuity/grainy/low bready quality to them. Sure, the West Coast version of the style is awesome, but I'm aiming for biscuit/grainy/background bready with that dry as s**t finish.

Hopefully Centennial doesn't go away! I doubt it will, but still. That would be sad.

Disagree away...it's all about personal tastes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell