Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Oktoberfest 2015  (Read 8853 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Sierra Oktoberfest 2015
« on: September 12, 2015, 06:28:47 pm »
Anybody try this yet? Picked up a six yesterday and just tried one - great beer. SN did this beer in partnership with Germany's Brauhaus Riegele and promises to partner with a different German brewer each year on an O-fest. It's has copper/pale amber color, lighter than some, with slightly more spicy late hop character than many. The malt bill uses 2 row pale, Pils, Munich, and German Steffi malt (an heirloom German 2 row variety not used commonly due to its cost according to SN. By their account, it imparts more character than many 2 rows). I love the malt character - it's clean, slightly bready, lightly malty rich and best of all, ZERO crystal/caramunich/caravienne to oversweeten. Hop character ( Magnum to bitter, German Select, Tettnang, and Spalt late) is more prominent when first poured, less so when the beer warms a bit. Complex malt character is more prominent at this point. I could drink this stuff by the liter, regularly. I'm curious how next year's O-fest with a new German brewery partner will stack up. It has its work cut out.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Sierra Oktoberfest 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:33:29 pm »
I was about to post about this beer. Picked up a twelve pack the other day…it's going quickly. Really wish this would be a recurring brew...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:35:13 pm »
Im on vacation so ill be looking for it. My guess was that it might be a bit too hoppy. Sounds interesting though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:21 pm »
I was about to post about this beer. Picked up a twelve pack the other day…it's going quickly. Really wish this would be a recurring brew...

Yeah, I wish they'd keep this one, too. Though the idea of a different German co-brewer every year is cool. I doubt I'll like any of them any better than this one, though. It has a tad more late hop character than most, but it's a very nice beer, better as it warms. Gonna buy more.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 06:44:49 pm »
Really, really enjoyed this beer.  I usually buy this type of stuff once, but I'll be back for more.  SN has been nailing their seasonals lately.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:57:52 pm »
I am going to have to track this one down. It's sounds great. I was just shopping Wednesday  at Jungle Jim's International market and did not see it there. Luckily I will be in that area again next week and will have to find it. Thanks for the tip Jon
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:04:12 pm »
I had one a couple of weeks ago and I thought it had a very nice malt flavor.
Dan Chisholm

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 08:40:02 am »
Been making my through a 12 pack as well and am really enjoying it, nice malty backbone, well balanced and easy drinking, gonna get some more:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:18:07 am »
Im on vacation so ill be looking for it. My guess was that it might be a bit too hoppy. Sounds interesting though.

I'm curious, Jim...why would you expect that?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 10:47:56 am »

Unfair I suppose, but ive just come to expect a heavy hand with hops in west coast breweries. Im headed to town today, with any luck I'll score some and I'll give it a fair chance

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 11:34:18 am »

Unfair I suppose, but ive just come to expect a heavy hand with hops in west coast breweries. Im headed to town today, with any luck I'll score some and I'll give it a fair chance

Keep in mind that SN makes a wide range of beers and not all of them are hoppy.  Especially when they've partnered with a German brewery for this one, I'd expect it to be pretty good.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 05:13:19 pm »
Just poured one. Fest Beer is not my strong suit style wise,  meaning I don't claim to know a lot about is, but I like this one. So many America Ofests ive tried seem too full and too sweet. This is one of best I can remember. Very drinkable, theres some nobel hop flavor up front, then a nice wash of crackery pils malt. Finishes medium, not sweet not dry, but enough bitterness to carry it. No unpleasant lingering flavors. Definitely its own beer not just a big Nooner. Kudos!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 06:28:39 am »
sam adams reportedly does a late hop on their o'fest also -departing from the "german traditional". Just had Great Lakes O'fest this weekend-very nice.

looking forward to trying SN's.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 07:48:25 am »
  SN has been nailing their seasonals lately.
+1 I think they may be the gold standard of large craft breweries now. They seem to be putting a lot of work into getting each new offering just right.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 10:23:14 pm »
So f##king good! I'm not the hugest SN fan, but living in CA means it's always available. I snagged a 6'r last weekend after friends swore it was amazing... finished that in a night and grabbed a 12 pack the next day. Sooooo good!!! I emailed SN about the recipe, still no response