Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Oktoberfest 2015  (Read 8869 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Sierra Oktoberfest 2015
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 08:50:36 am »
it is phenomenal - and I had the pleasure of having it fresh on draft at the brewery and taking a growler home with me.  8)

my favorite oktoberfest this year.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 09:56:13 am »
Im on vacation so ill be looking for it. My guess was that it might be a bit too hoppy. Sounds interesting though.

I'm curious, Jim...why would you expect that?
Unfair I suppose, but ive just come to expect a heavy hand with hops in west coast breweries. Im headed to town today, with any luck I'll score some and I'll give it a fair chance

It was brewed in collaboration with Bavarian brewery Riegele.  IMO, it's an excellent example of the Maerzen style (as opposed to the more modern Festbier/Wiesn).  Really enjoyed it at our sneak preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2hiccZk-fY

Was that picture at Mills River?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 11:37:49 am »
Now that I've had some around for a few days, I have a little different opinion. If I remove my biases as best I can, pretend someone just handed me a glass and said "what do you think?" I think it's a tasty, drinkable pale ale that used spicy/floral hops instead of citrus/pines hops, and was either fermented with lager or hybrid yeast, or cal ale at low temps to keep the fruitiness low.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:00 am »
For me, it is missing that richer malt depth that a good classic oktoberfest has.  The lighter malt presence and color scream "festbier" to me and a fairly good one at that.  I do too agree that the bitterness (and maybe hop flavor additions) could be brought down a notch. 

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 12:38:20 pm »
Yep.  Beautiful facility.  The video I posted was filmed there also.  This was down by the river itself.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2015, 01:00:23 pm »
Yep.  Beautiful facility.  The video I posted was filmed there also.  This was down by the river itself.
They have a lot of river front and property. Most beautiful brewery I have ever seen.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 01:59:38 pm »
For me, it is missing that richer malt depth that a good classic oktoberfest has.  The lighter malt presence and color scream "festbier" to me and a fairly good one at that.  I do too agree that the bitterness (and maybe hop flavor additions) could be brought down a notch.
+1 pretty  much where i'm at on it.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2015, 02:18:46 pm »
funny to me I get a lot of well balanced, toasty type malt character that is blended with hop bitterness to lend a crisp finish that begs the next sip.  I'd agree that the hop aroma is a bit on the higher end of the range but not intrusive. 

Sierra's is pretty close to a good, fresh Ayinger.

in my opinion, several of the American craft interpretations of the style are borderline bocks with lots of rich dark fruity type maltiness and full mouthfeels, leaning decidedly towards malt without the counterbalancing hop bitterness in the finish. Lefthand, Samuel Adams, Highland Clawhammer, Harpoon all come to mind as examples this year.  If that is what fits your idealization of the style, you are definitely going to be disappointed.

One final note - I did find the malt to be a bit richer in later batches - the 6/30/15 packaged batch was a bit more bitter and less balanced than the more recent one that I've had.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:20:38 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2015, 02:20:00 pm »
Just picked up a 6 to try.  I'll check the date.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2015, 02:24:43 pm »
funny to me I get a lot of well balanced, toasty type malt character that is blended with hop bitterness to lend a crisp finish that begs the next sip.  I'd agree that the hop aroma is a bit on the higher end of the range but not intrusive. 

in my opinion, several of the American craft interpretations of the style are borderline bocks with lots of rich dark fruity type maltiness and full mouthfeels, leaning decidedly towards malt without the counterbalancing hop bitterness in the finish. Lefthand, Samuel Adams, Highland Clawhammer, Harpoon all come to mind as examples this year.  If that is what fits your idealization of the style, you are definitely going to be disappointed.

One final note - I did find the malt to be a bit richer in later batches - the 6/30/15 packaged batch was a bit more bitter and less balanced than the more recent one that I've had.

ok so thats interesting. mine is the 6/30 batch and just like you described.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2015, 02:49:43 pm »

Was the color darker on the later batch? In the video review I saw, the color was very light; like 6 SRM. He commented on how bitter and out of balance it was.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2015, 02:52:37 pm »

Was the color darker on the later batch? In the video review I saw, the color was very light; like 6 SRM. He commented on how bitter and out of balance it was.

you can see in my photo posted how light it is. its definitely out of balance favoring bitterness.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2015, 02:55:31 pm »

couldn't tell you at the moment - i had all of the later batch at the brewery and from a growler when i was on vacation, but have had all the 6/30 at home.  i'll check the stores soon and look for a newer batch to grab and compare (i have a few bottles left) - assuming that Celebration doesn't make its way here beforehand.   

I'd say more like 7-8 SRM nonetheless.  Ayinger is about the same, FWIW, so are most of the imports;  Spaten is one of the darker ones IIRC, and even that is not nearly as dark as Sam, Victory, Lefthand, etc.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2015, 03:26:51 pm »
I am having one right now dated 8-11-15.  I like this beer and I usually find U.S. O'Fest beers a little too malty, kind of the same malt flavor as an Irish Red if you know what I mean.  This is more bread crust and considerably lighter in body than most.
I'd say the color is light, maybe 6.  Dark gold would be a close descriptor.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2015, 03:40:12 pm »
I like this beer and I usually find U.S. O'Fest beers a little too malty, kind of the same malt flavor as an Irish Red if you know what I mean. 

Yep, exactly. Bad examples have too much Caramunich/Caravienne sweet character IMO - I like the ones with little or none like this one.
Jon H.