Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Oktoberfest 2015  (Read 8761 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Sierra Oktoberfest 2015
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2015, 12:23:40 am »

I'm far from a connoisseur of the style but I enjoyed the Left Hand Oktoberfest 6 pack I picked up last week. Just a touch less roasty and it would've been even better.

Yep it's pretty tasty. Fest beer is a varying interpretation- especially the USA varietals.....and everyone has their own + -.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2015, 08:20:36 am »
I'm far from a connoisseur of the style but I enjoyed the Left Hand Oktoberfest 6 pack I picked up last week. Just a touch less roasty and it would've been even better.

Not sure if they distribute outside of Colorado but I tried Prost's Marzen on tap over the weekend. It was perfect for what I like! As mentioned a lot, many examples are overly malty and sweet. This was perfectly balanced. Considering they specialize in making excellent German beers, I shouldn't be surprised. I still have yet to try Sierra's version.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:23:00 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2015, 09:07:01 am »

Not sure if they distribute outside of Colorado but I tried Prost's Marzen on tap over the weekend. It was perfect for what I like! As mentioned a lot, many examples are overly malty and sweet. This was perfectly balanced. Considering they specialize in making excellent German beers, I shouldn't be surprised. I still have yet to try Sierra's version.

I've not been very happy with the bottled versions of Prost's tasty on-tap beers, but I snagged a 6-pack of the Marzen at a liquor store before it was released at the brewery (didn't know that was a thing) and was very pleasantly surprised.  Liked it better than Sierra, probably better than Free State, just short of Ayinger, and my own.   ;)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2015, 04:00:50 pm »
SN Oktoberfest must have a consistency issue, because the first few I tried were basically clean pale ales with Nobel hops. I just tried another and it was entirely different. Nice Pilsner malt coming through, just enough bittering to balance and a nice hop flavor

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2015, 08:22:20 pm »
I was lucky enough to grab the last 12-pack that the small package goods store near me had in stock.  Sierra Nevada Octoberfest is a nice take on the theme.  The grist is definitely a blend of American 2-row and continental malt, as the malt character sits between that of craft lager made with domestic 2-row and craft or continental lager made with continental malt.  Sierra Nevada Octoberfest is one of the spiciest lagers that Sierra Nevada has ever made from a late hop point of view.  That best part is that the beer is not the typical insipid caramelly-sweet blandness that many American craft brewers peddle to their customers during this time of the year.   In my humble opinion, caramel malt has no place in Octoberfest, Märzen, or Vienna.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:27:56 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2015, 08:30:55 pm »
I was lucky enough to grab the last 12-pack that the small package goods store near me had in stock.  Sierra Nevada Octoberfest is nice take on the theme.  The grist is definitely a blend of American 2-row and continental malt, as the malt character sits between that of craft lager made with domestic 2-row and craft or continental lager made with continental malt.  Sierra Nevada Octoberfest is one of the spiciest lagers that Sierra Nevada has ever made from a late hop point of view.  That best part is that the beer is not the typical insipid caramelly-sweet blandness that many American craft brewers peddle to their customers during this time of the year.   In my humble opinion, caramel malt has no place in Octoberfest, Märzen, or Vienna.

Yep, I agree on all points. Bland crystal malt O-fests are usually too sweet and often not drinkable past one pint. This one's a lot more interesting IMO. I'm really liking this idea of partnering with a different German brewer each year. Really cool idea.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2015, 08:47:32 pm »
I continue to buy this beer and be impressed.  I just hope next year's version shares the 2015 approach.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2015, 09:14:25 pm »
I finally found some 8/24 batch. Me and the missus put away a 6 pack last night. We both enjoyed it very much and felt that it was not what we are accustomed to in fest type brews. Nice and crisp, great hop flavors (more than expected, but even she liked this part) and easily "drinkable" as they say, left us wanting another. Luckily I did buy 2 sixers, so there is another left for tomorrow...
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2015, 12:41:57 pm »
I just had this in a flight of O'fests at a local beer bar and it was quite good, although I did pick up the US 2-row flavor when I had it side-by side with some others. Goose Island's was probably my favorite out of the flight. Two Roads from CT had a nice one, but maybe a bit too much toast in comparison to the others. Weihenstephaner was noticeably lighter in color and seemed like it was primarily Vienna malt. It was also a bit skunky even on tap, unfortunately.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2015, 04:08:08 pm »
I finally found some 8/24 batch. Me and the missus put away a 6 pack last night. We both enjoyed it very much and felt that it was not what we are accustomed to in fest type brews. Nice and crisp, great hop flavors (more than expected, but even she liked this part) and easily "drinkable" as they say, left us wanting another. Luckily I did buy 2 sixers, so there is another left for tomorrow...
We did the same thing the other night.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2015, 05:15:11 pm »
Nice glassware Toby. Ill have to break out mine as well. No SN, but Spaten and Hofbrau Haus
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2015, 09:13:50 am »
Yeah, we don't have many steins but had to break those out.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2015, 10:14:05 am »
Yeah, we don't have many steins but had to break those out.
Toby, allow me to be OCD on the German stuff.  ;D

Steins are stone ware (ceramic) drinking vessels. stein=stone. A liter glass vessel is a Maßkrug, and smaller ones  are just "Krug".

Heading back late in the year, trying to get my Deutsch back. The wife becomes a little pedantic when a boot shaped glass is called "days Boot", which means the boat.  English to German Boot=Stiefel.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2015, 11:20:34 am »
"days Boot", which means the boat. 

good movie.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2015, 11:24:05 am »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!