Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Counter top RO, not so RO  (Read 2515 times)

Offline pfabsits

• Cellarman
    • Hanna Instruments
Re: Counter top RO, not so RO
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 11:24:00 am »
It sounds like the unit just needed to be rinsed (1-2 cycles). 

An RO system should produce water of 30-40 uS/cm or less. An EC and/or TDS tester should be used to periodically check the system performance. The problem with RO is that it is possible to get a tear in the membrane and not know it. The only way is to check with a tester. Ideally a EC tester with a 0 to 99 uS/cm range (0-50 ppm TDS). The reason being is that many testers have 2% full scale accuracy. A meter with 0 -1999 uS/cm will have an accuracy of +/- 40 uS/cm while the 0 to 99 uS/cm tester will have a +/-2 uS/cm accuracy. I have measured RO water with a a tester that had a 0 - 3999 uS/cm range. It seemed to measure okay with a reading of around 40 uS/cm but technically the reading obtained could be from -40 to 120 uS/cm since the accuracy is +/-80 uS/cm.

Lake Michigan         Frankfort Groundwater       GW after softener        Softened GW after RO
pH                     7.2                     7                                      7.3                              5.8
EC (uS/cm)        308                     990                                  1190                           37
Alkalinity(ppm)  180                     870                                   630                             50
Hardness (ppm) 150                     720                                   60                               0

I would be curious if sulfate is an important parameter. In principle it would be relatively easy to offer a sulfate checker since there is a sulfate portable (HI96751). If there is a need in the market then it would make sense to offer.
One of the avid home brewers that work for Hanna Instruments

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 01:39:09 pm »
Where is Frankfort? No way do I want their water.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pfabsits

• Cellarman
    • Hanna Instruments
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 03:21:07 pm »

South Suburb of Chicago. Relatively hard water, there are places worse off. I am sure some people from Texas can state to that. Overall the water is not that bad. Just needs to be softened and use RO for drinking water.
One of the avid home brewers that work for Hanna Instruments

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 04:46:49 pm »

South Suburb of Chicago. Relatively hard water, there are places worse off. I am sure some people from Texas can state to that. Overall the water is not that bad. Just needs to be softened and use RO for drinking water.
That is super hard and alkaline. Far more than TX water analysis that I have seen.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 05:03:03 pm »
I don't have a full analysis on my water, but I know the TDS is about 250ppm out of the tap. The RO machine I buy my water from is normally around 10ppm, and I won't buy from it at 20ppm or higher. Luckily most of the grocery stores here have RO machines out front, but my preferred machine pours 25% heavy and is priced at $0.25.