Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil Length - Pt. 2: Pilsner Malt: exBEERiment Results!  (Read 11631 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Boil Length - Pt. 2: Pilsner Malt: exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 01:17:12 pm »
These results are very interesting, but I'm too chicken to try.  I don't get to brew as often as I would like, so I fear that I'll have a bad batch and not be able to brew for another month.

Bit it's been proven to not happen.  What have you got to lose?

My guess is "5 gallons".

Fortunately, most DMS beers are still drinkable, IMHO.

Except that he won't get DMS.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 01:28:12 pm »
These results are very interesting, but I'm too chicken to try.  I don't get to brew as often as I would like, so I fear that I'll have a bad batch and not be able to brew for another month.

My guess is "5 gallons".

Fortunately, most DMS beers are still drinkable, IMHO.

Except that he won't get DMS.

HE won't because he's going to boil for 90 minutes.  The rest of us won't because we believe in the flying spaghetti monster Marshall Schott.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 01:37:25 pm »
Im ascared that if I boil 60 min instead of the usual 90 that I will detect DMS because I will be looking for it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 01:39:22 pm »
Im ascared that if I boil 60 min instead of the usual 90 that I will detect DMS because I will be looking for it.

That is a very valid concern.  Well done.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 02:38:51 pm »

Yeah...that!  Too many false prophecies are self fulfilling!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 03:33:33 pm »

Well I'm neurotic enough to think, "Okay, but what if I don't boil as vigorously as Marshall did and lose a five gallon batch?"  I have had beers with DMS and I absolutely can't stand it.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 03:40:42 pm »

Applying a boil to something for 30 minutes or 90 should yield different results whether cooking or brewing. I am not saying that DMS will be the difference, but hop utilization and isomerization should at least be different between them, no?
Both were hit with the first hop addition with 30 min left in the boil, the long boil batch just boiled for an hour with nothing.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
Boil Length - Pt. 2: Pilsner Malt: exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 03:41:49 pm »

Well I'm neurotic enough to think, "Okay, but what if I don't boil as vigorously as Marshall did and lose a five gallon batch?"  I have had beers with DMS and I absolutely can't stand it.

How are you certain it was DMS? I think a lot of people mistake actual good Pils malt character with DMS because they're looking so hard for something different.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 03:42:44 pm »
Gotcha, guess I read over the set up too quickly or its just my poor comprehension early in the day
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 05:02:27 pm »

How are you certain it was DMS? I think a lot of people mistake actual good Pils malt character with DMS because they're looking so hard for something different.

+1 to that
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 09:04:09 pm »
Just wanted to let you know how much I look forward to your posts. Thanks for doing this kind of stuff, its a great read.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 09:17:50 pm »
I have heard from experienced judges that you should expressly state that you have used flaked maize in your competition beer, if you have used it, otherwise you risk having it dinged for DMS.  In a tasting class we had the Siebel Institute DMS fault and I found it to be more of a cooked green vegetable flavor and aroma than corn-like.  So I avoid adding green vegetables to my beer.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 10:20:18 pm »

Just wanted to let you know how much I look forward to your posts. Thanks for doing this kind of stuff, its a great read.
Cheers, dude, thanks a lot!
I have heard from experienced judges that you should expressly state that you have used flaked maize in your competition beer, if you have used it, otherwise you risk having it dinged for DMS.  In a tasting class we had the Siebel Institute DMS fault and I found it to be more of a cooked green vegetable flavor and aroma than corn-like.  So I avoid adding green vegetables to my beer.
Exactly. DMS is way more steamed cabbage-y than creamed corn, imo... so no cabbage in the beer!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 06:18:32 am »

That's nice to provide information on the entry form except the judges will probably never see it for simple styles like these.
Dave

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 06:48:45 am »

Often DMS shows up on my score sheets for Pilsners. The only thing I can figure is that the judge can't tell the difference from a little H2S and DMS. From my experience in Germany you often get a little H2S, and I don't mind it. DMS is something I am fairly sensitive to, and I don't get it in my Pils, which has a 90 minute boil.

Many also will say DMS if they pick up corn in a beer. There are corn aromas that are from other compounds. Does a corn tortilla chip smell like creamed corn?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!