Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Corny Keg for Secondary?  (Read 16603 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Using Corny Keg for Secondary?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 01:28:11 pm »

Cornies are great!
Put enough CO2 pressure in to seal the lid.

+1

Couldn't agree more. Do it all the time.
Ron Price

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 10:24:28 am »
Did you use the WY old ale yeast? Because that has a strain of brettanomyces as well as whatever other yeast they are using and it will continue to ferment for a while. In that case, just continue to vent the keg.

Would brett or other bacterias nest in the corny and cause contamination problems with future brews? Poppets, o-rings, scratches on the interior of the keg/dip tube?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 12:17:13 pm »
I use my cornies for primary and secondary. I just remove the guts from the poppet and the gas in connector then hook up a blow off hose. I use a foam controller to keep the krausen down. I then transfer to a sanitized and purged keg when fermentation is complete - usually about 2-3 weeks. As this point I can prime for natural conditioning or pop it in the serving fridge with a gas line and it is ready to go. For low gravity beers like bitters I will install a spunding valve after 2 days of fermentation and allow the remaining fermentation to carbonate so I can have a beer brewed and served in about 6 days. I just cold crash overnight and then counter pressure transfer to a second keg and it is ready to serve.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 02:04:32 pm »
Did you use the WY old ale yeast? Because that has a strain of brettanomyces as well as whatever other yeast they are using and it will continue to ferment for a while. In that case, just continue to vent the keg.

Would brett or other bacterias nest in the corny and cause contamination problems with future brews? Poppets, o-rings, scratches on the interior of the keg/dip tube?

Possible. I replace gaskets and o-rings and boil poppets afterwards to be sure. But star san takes care of everything else.