Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maple Extract  (Read 2854 times)

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
Maple Extract
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:05:08 am »
IMO, the best way to get maple flavor is with a good maple extract.

Old quote, but this seems to be a common theme from Denny and others. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding specifics.

What is a "good" maple extract? Is there a perceptible difference between Imitation Maple Flavor and Pure Extract? (examples linked below)

How much in a 5 gallon batch for a subtle but noticeable flavor? The only reference I found was for 2oz/5gal at bottling or kegging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GQSX2AU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QQA4KK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A27B5K815BYADK
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:28:09 am by tesgüino »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Maple Extract
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:38:34 am »
I've never tasted imitation maple flavor, but I can tell you with certain there will be a significant difference in flavor between imitation maple and the real thing.

I've also never used maple extract, but I have used maple sugar and maple syrup.  In the sugar and syrup format, which I assume to be far less concentrated than extract, you need to use a large amount to get anything more than a subtle flavor.

If you're kegging, I would start with adding a small amount and tasting the beer to see the impact.  Do this until it reaches the level you want.

The other option is to dose a measured pour of beer with a measured amount of extract until you find the ratio you like and then scale up the volumes.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:44:30 am »
The other option is to dose a measured pour of beer with a measured amount of extract until you find the ratio you like and then scale up the volumes.

^^^  Pretty foolproof way to add flavorings. Or back sweeten/flavor cider.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 12:10:07 pm »
I've never tasted imitation maple flavor, but I can tell you with certain there will be a significant difference in flavor between imitation maple and the real thing.

I've also never used maple extract, but I have used maple sugar and maple syrup.  In the sugar and syrup format, which I assume to be far less concentrated than extract, you need to use a large amount to get anything more than a subtle flavor.

If you're kegging, I would start with adding a small amount and tasting the beer to see the impact.  Do this until it reaches the level you want.

I agree with all of this. I'd also add that Grade B maple syrup adds a lot more maple flavor than the typical light- or medium-amber stuff people usually put on their pancakes. That's what bakers typically use (I know; I can't any of the Grade B stuff from my local sugar shacks because it's already spoken for).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 02:48:45 pm »
I find the smell of maple extract/imitation maple flavoring to be disgusting. I can't even get close to one of those places that sell 'maple' creemees. the overwhelming fenugreek smell turns my stomach at this point. If you want to make a maple beer be prepared to spend A LOT of money on maple syrup unless you make your own. get the darkest you can. there is even a grade darker and more robust than that which used to be called 'grade B Dark Amber' but as eric says it's hard to come by because it's snapped up by bakers and processors. I go to 30% of the fermentables in a big barley wine and there is a lovely subtle woody character that is exactly what maple actually tastes like with all the sweetness removed.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce