Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Winter/Garage Brewing  (Read 7904 times)

Offline paloaf

• 1st Kit
Winter/Garage Brewing
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:28:51 am »
I'm looking for a little advice or feedback on brewing in the garage in the winter. 

I live in Minnesota where the winters are long and cold.  My wife and I moved to a new house recently in which I have a nice three car attached garage that is insulated. It is not heated.  I have water and a sink plumbed to the garage with a floor drain for access.  I made the water shutoffs on the inside of the house so that I can drain them after use to avoid freezing.  My brewing system uses propane burners.

My main concern is with condensation buildup from the boil.  In my previous garage, I brewed all winter long and the windows would fog up even with the garage door open.  This new garage is a lot bigger, but I want to avoid any condensation/mold issues.  The new garage does not have any windows, so I would need to brew with the doors open to evacuate CO if it's there. I've toyed with the idea of installing some sort of an industrial vent hood over my brew rig and venting that to the outside, but I would like to avoid that investment if I can. 

Does anyone have any current process/setup that they use to avoid condensation build up in the winter?  I'd hate to have to quit brewing when it gets too cold to brew outside!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Winter/Garage Brewing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 09:31:44 am »
I'm looking for a little advice or feedback on brewing in the garage in the winter. 

I live in Minnesota where the winters are long and cold.  My wife and I moved to a new house recently in which I have a nice three car attached garage that is insulated. It is not heated.  I have water and a sink plumbed to the garage with a floor drain for access.  I made the water shutoffs on the inside of the house so that I can drain them after use to avoid freezing.  My brewing system uses propane burners.

My main concern is with condensation buildup from the boil.  In my previous garage, I brewed all winter long and the windows would fog up even with the garage door open.  This new garage is a lot bigger, but I want to avoid any condensation/mold issues.  The new garage does not have any windows, so I would need to brew with the doors open to evacuate CO if it's there. I've toyed with the idea of installing some sort of an industrial vent hood over my brew rig and venting that to the outside, but I would like to avoid that investment if I can. 

Does anyone have any current process/setup that they use to avoid condensation build up in the winter?  I'd hate to have to quit brewing when it gets too cold to brew outside!

yes keep garage door open part way and run a fan - push co2 out and help with condensation.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:52:36 am »
One simple way, if you batch sparge with a cooler mash tun, is to just heat strike/sparge water and do the boil outside, mash and clean inside. Otherwise open door and fan I guess.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline rudy1964

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 10:23:30 am »
I use a Greenhouse exhaust fan in my barn for winter brewing.  Michigan is similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 10:47:43 am »
If you or your wife don't mind the smell that brewing makes, one option is to move to a smaller BIAB setup indoors on the range top for the worst parts of the winter. You can crank out 2-3 gallon batches with ease. Super easy brew days make for more frequent (and potentially experimental) brew days and more variety in what you have available to drink/share. Just a thought. I am fortunate in that my wife actually loves the smell of boiling wort.

We have the opposite problem in TX - I need to brew outdoors in the summer because it heats the house up too much to do it indoors. In the winters I'll often go back to 2 gallon BIAB batches on the stovetop just for variety's sake and to test out different ideas.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:52:12 am »
I've seen people rig up exhaust hoods, like you might have over your stove top, to push steam outside.

I have the same issue in my house in the winter. I usually open the windows, set up some fans, and put on a jacket since my house is about to be freezing  8)
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:30 am »
If fan doesn't work, Fan + curtain around brewing area and fan should work.  The curtain should be nylon and away from any fire.  Nomex panels can be added to the curtain for insurance.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 11:28:44 am »
I put a small 14" fan above the kettle and a couple feet behind it pointing down and towards the garage door. Works good and no moisture buildup inside. My garage is heated though.
Jimmykx250

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 11:47:42 am »
I am lucky to have a service door and a window but the key is cross ventilation and exiting the condensation near the top, so the service door with a fan blowing out works for me.  You could just lift the main door a bit and push air out the service door, if I get your set up correctly.

If it's absolutely brutal, consider smaller batches indoors on the stove (at least for the mash, if not also the boil).

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 11:55:32 am »
consider smaller batches indoors on the stove (at least for the mash, if not also the boil).

This is all I ever do, winter spring summer fall!  I don't understand the obsession with large batches and big equipment.  Save time on brewing day, experiment a lot more, get more variety, yadda yadda.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 12:01:41 pm »
consider smaller batches indoors on the stove (at least for the mash, if not also the boil).

This is all I ever do, winter spring summer fall!  I don't understand the obsession with large batches and big equipment.  Save time on brewing day, experiment a lot more, get more variety, yadda yadda.

I brew 90%+ in the garage, but my kettle is actually wide enough to straddle 2 burners on the gas stove. I wussed out and brewed a couple batches on the stove last winter - took a little longer to reach boil obviously but made 5.5 gallon batches just fine. Takes a wide kettle to hit 2 burners though.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 12:08:02 pm »
I have 3 small kettles.  Works fine on the stovetop with 3 kettles if I want to brew 5 gallons.  Or, just brew 1.7-2.5 gallons and you're fine in one kettle, if your stove can handle it which it most likely can (my glass-top can handle this no problem).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 12:11:35 pm »

Those small batches wouldn't make it through Friday evening with the crew that drinks my beers.  So, I typically brew 10 gallon batches of the routine lagers and ales and save the smaller batches for atypicals - like 5 gallon sours.  But I may go even smaller on the sours to try more varieties this winter.  Scaling and associated math and fear of non-linear impacts have kept me from it so far.  But Dave's points make very good sense,especially at single digit temps or lower.....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 04:21:28 pm »
I'm in Chicago and brew in the garage all year as well. I just set up a box fan and open the overhead door half way, the box fan creates enough circulation where condensation isn't an issue, its a standard 2 car garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 06:24:54 am »

I brew 90%+ in the garage, but my kettle is actually wide enough to straddle 2 burners on the gas stove. I wussed out and brewed a couple batches on the stove last winter - took a little longer to reach boil obviously but made 5.5 gallon batches just fine. Takes a wide kettle to hit 2 burners though.

Perhaps the greatest invention of the late Stone Age is the concept of "indoors".