Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pressing apples and pears.  (Read 2705 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Pressing apples and pears.
« on: September 15, 2015, 10:42:44 am »
The trees around here are loaded with both apples and pears. I have a fruit press I have never used. Any idea how many apples to yield 5 gals of cider (roughly)?  We may do an all apple or an apple pear blend, not sure yet. Any advice on pressing?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Pressing apples and pears.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 11:33:23 am »
Apples are allowed to soften before pressing. but IIRC, pears get too mushy for pressing if allowed to soften.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 11:48:38 am »
Apples are allowed to soften before pressing. but IIRC, pears get too mushy for pressing if allowed to soften.

THIS^^^^  Sweat the apples, press the pears when they're still kinda hard.

My yield varies depending on how wet it's been.  IIRC, in general 2-3 bu. will give me about 5 gal. of juice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:51:43 am »
You need at least 40 medium-sized apples per gallon, so if you want 5 gallons, that's like 200 medium apples (if they're small you might need 300 or whatever).

As kramerog alluded, apples and pears taste better slightly softened but are easier to juice when they still have some structure left, i.e., before they turn mealy or buttery.  I would advise you not to pick the fruit until many of them start falling off the trees, and then leave them to sit in your basement or in a cool shady place (but not your refrigerator) for about 7 to 10 days before juicing.  Pears might need to be juiced a little before then, before they get super soft and buttery, otherwise they'll just be a mess.

You also need a scratter or something to grind up the fruit into little bits.  A food processer could work for small amounts but for hundreds of fruits you'll want to get something bigger.  Don't just press the whole fruits, you won't get much juice that way!  But you probably knew that already.

Good luck and happy cidermaking!  I'll be making some myself next month, my apples aren't quite ripe enough yet.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:53:52 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 11:55:06 am »
Thanks guys. I didn't think about sitting them. The pears are falling. I was going to buy a cheap garbage disposal and mount it into a board that would sit over my 30 gal brew pot and just grind apples into that before bagging and pressing in some cheap pillow cases.

I will be sure to take pictures when this all happens (if...  I'm not the one picking the apples). I figured windfalls that were also somewhat firm would be fine too.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
That sounds like a good plan.  Yes, keep us posted.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 01:40:54 pm »
Thanks guys. I didn't think about sitting them. The pears are falling. I was going to buy a cheap garbage disposal and mount it into a board that would sit over my 30 gal brew pot and just grind apples into that before bagging and pressing in some cheap pillow cases.

I will be sure to take pictures when this all happens (if...  I'm not the one picking the apples). I figured windfalls that were also somewhat firm would be fine too.

I'd be concerned about the pillow cases not being porous enough, especially for pears.  I use woven nylon feed bags (kinda like grain sacks with the inner lining) and they work great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:03:57 pm »
Feed bags I can get... 
Thx

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 02:06:15 pm »
Couldn't you use a 5 gallon nylon bag from the LHBS?  Put the grindings in the bag inside a bucket, w/some pectic enzyme.  Wouldn't even need a press, just lift the small amount of solids that are left behind after a couple of days.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 09:18:09 pm »
So the apples have been picked. 4 garbage cans full so this will be a bigger event than I had expected.
Gonna start a new thread. Lots of questions.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 07:50:44 pm »
I recently used the juicer method that was written up by AHA last year and it worked very well. Great extraction taste and very easy. Plus it was all done in a small kitchen.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958