Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend? 09/21/2015  (Read 3738 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 09/21/2015
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 09:56:32 am »
Yesterday I brewed a Belgian something in the vicinity of a pale ale to blond. It's just pale malt but too gently hopped to call a pale ale and imply a more assertive hop character. It's hopped with belma and spiced with coriander, star anise and lemon peel. It's happily fermenting away with 1214 right now.

That slurry will in turn be used to ferment a kettle soured Belgian stout and then in turn used to ferment a BDSA that will get some cocoa nibs, vanilla and noyaux.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 10:09:38 am »
Brewing an imperial stout today... Barley Crusher grain mill wouldn't spin the second roller, the temperature thermometer battery died, and I'm sure a few more hiccups are in the queue.  It is a beautiful day to be outside brewing in NC.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

-Tony

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 10:22:40 am »
I'm looking for a killer Brown Ale recipe to brew.

If you want American style, this recipe has won me quite a few ribbons...http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 02:12:38 pm »
Brewing an imperial stout today... Barley Crusher grain mill wouldn't spin the second roller, the temperature thermometer battery died, and I'm sure a few more hiccups are in the queue.  It is a beautiful day to be outside brewing in NC.

Try taking the rollers out, clean them with a wire brush, and flip the second roller 180 degrees prior to putting it back together.  Should help get the rollers moving well again. 

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 03:01:01 pm »

Try taking the rollers out, clean them with a wire brush, and flip the second roller 180 degrees prior to putting it back together.  Should help get the rollers moving well again.
Thanks!

-Tony

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 04:48:44 pm »

If you want American style, this recipe has won me quite a few ribbons...http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle

That does look tasty Denny.  Thanks!

Offline tnb34

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 08:05:30 pm »
Kicking off a whole week of vacation and plan to brew daily. Starting with a sweet stout, followed by a scottish 70.  Just need to figure out the rest of the week.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 08:26:40 pm »
I'm set up to brew a Belgian Wit tomorrow to make up for the one I screwed up on Labor Day.  I will be dumping 10 gallons of scorched Belgian Wit sometime during the day.  I haven't dumped a batch of beer in quite a long time so I am wondering if I should have a little ceremony.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 05:59:04 am »
I'm set up to brew a Belgian Wit tomorrow to make up for the one I screwed up on Labor Day.  I will be dumping 10 gallons of scorched Belgian Wit sometime during the day.  I haven't dumped a batch of beer in quite a long time so I am wondering if I should have a little ceremony.

Sounds like a lot of marinade to dump, but I know that storage becomes an issue.

I made two ten gallon batches yesterday - a Flanders Red and a no frills lager (I called it NFL, since that will be when it will be served on a couple three Sunday's in November.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 08:34:34 am »
Yeah, 'scorched' is tough to overcome. I've done it before and, after the expletives stopped flying, I dumped. I was aggravated for a week.   >:(
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 11:05:43 am »
I'm gonna brew an Oktoberfest on Sunday. A bit late, I know, but Oktoberfest is good any time of the year.

Me too.  Gonna use the 2015 SN as inspiration for the recipe.
Just had that last night. I liked it a lot. I don't typically like the lagers that SN makes for whatever reason, but that one was very good.
I'm actually brewing a pumpkin oktoberfest today with 44oz canned pumpkin in the mash and a spice mix at the end of the boil. Thinking 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, and an 1/8 tsp each of all spice and nutmeg. Should be perfect for November/Thanksgiving.
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 01:44:46 pm »
so lied in another post saying i was on pause  :o

anyway, brewing another northern german pils since i have the yeast cake ready to roll.  5%abv with target FG of 1.008-009 on this one.  just poured a pint of my kegged northern german pils- dam tasty and one you can and want to kill a few pints of. whoever gets me in the october beer swap-count this one in to enjoy  ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »

I'm brewing this today the old school way with the cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 08:15:41 pm »

I'm brewing this today the old school hard way with the cooler.

Fixed.  ;D

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 08:22:48 pm »
Making cider tomorrow - haven't decided on yeast strain yet. I'll wing it when I get to the LHBS. Tapped a couple beers yesterday - a fruity hop IPA and my roasty, chocolatey house stout. They're nice so I think I'll use them for the swap.
Jon H.