Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to Save a Bad Batch of Beer- Part 2  (Read 2024 times)

Offline daniel_cerveza

• Cellarman
How to Save a Bad Batch of Beer- Part 2
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:33:13 am »
Finished up this article with a few techniques for recovering from a stuck fermentation and giving a meh beer a make-over. 

http://www.beersyndicate.com/blog/how-to-save-a-bad-batch-of-homebrew-part-2/

Any other tips you guys ever used?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: How to Save a Bad Batch of Beer- Part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:45:51 am »
interesting article - but i've always been of the mindset to just dump and brew again - happens only once in a while but I've rarely been happy with 'fixes'
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:40 am »
interesting article - but i've always been of the mindset to just dump and brew again - happens only once in a while but I've rarely been happy with 'fixes'
Agreed.I find the amount of effort needed to fix a batch is generally disproportional with the end result. If it's a small problem then I just live with it and tweak things on a rebrew. If it's a big issue I'd rather just start over.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:55:34 am »
Agreed.I find the amount of effort needed to fix a batch is generally disproportional with the end result. If it's a small problem then I just live with it and tweak things on a rebrew. If it's a big issue I'd rather just start over.

+2
Jon H.

Offline daniel_cerveza

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 08:02:13 am »
I've had to dump as well and it sucks, even after some masking tape techniques.  Trying to make the best beer possible from the start and follow brewing best practices is ALWAYS the way to go. 

That said, I would still try and recover from a stuck fermentation, and I probably wouldn't automatically dump a beer that was OK but not great.

I've heard of some people adding honey to a batch to make a sort of mead hybrid, braggot concoction with success. Of course, the better the starting beer, the better the final result.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:19:42 am »
I recently put Brett into a saison that didn't finish dry enough, but I wouldn't call the fermentation stuck.  I'm still waiting for the saison to finish.

I've also made an Old Ale that had way too much caramel character.  After a lot of aging, I blended it with a smaller beer and got great Old Ale taste with a relatively light body.  Delicious.

Offline daniel_cerveza

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 08:29:34 am »
Any tips on blending?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:36:44 am »

+2

+3
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:38:10 am »
I've had to dump as well and it sucks, even after some masking tape techniques.  Trying to make the best beer possible from the start and follow brewing best practices is ALWAYS the way to go. 

That said, I would still try and recover from a stuck fermentation, and I probably wouldn't automatically dump a beer that was OK but not great.

I've heard of some people adding honey to a batch to make a sort of mead hybrid, braggot concoction with success. Of course, the better the starting beer, the better the final result.

I have had virtually zero luck trying to "save" a bad beer.  You just end up with a beer that's less bad.  And I've dumped batches that had no problems but I just didn't care for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:45:37 am »

I have had virtually zero luck trying to "save" a bad beer.  You just end up with a beer that's less bad.  And I've dumped batches that had no problems but I just didn't care for.

+1

I've eventually dumped every batch that I've "fixed".

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 01:41:32 pm »
Any tips on blending?

There is blending for uniformity and consistency.  We are not talking about that.

First the original beer can't be bad (infected beers probably can't be saved), it has to be good with a flawed characteristic.  Second the beer to be blended with has to have a characteristic opposite to the flawed characteristic.  So an overly sweet Old Ale with great aged character can be saved.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 02:25:54 pm »
Any tips on blending?
  So an overly sweet Old Ale with great aged character can be saved.

+1.  Have done that twice (not intentionally). Last batch (years ago)  finished at 1.038 FG (too many specialty malts). Added some WL sour mix and Russian River dregs (2 bottles) and let it sit for another year and half.  The bugs worked it down to a 1.024 FG!  Finished with an awesome "vatted" Old Ale (12% ABV).  A sipper that lasted a couple years after I finally kegged it.  Even a took a couple medals along the way....