Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Oils & Kilning  (Read 998 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Hop Oils & Kilning
« on: September 18, 2015, 09:55:34 am »
I just attended "Humulus U.", BSG's hop school.  It was very informative and surprisingly different than the Haas hop school, the only other one I have attended.

One of the most interesting points to me was in a talk about the use of a gas chromatograph to measure the effects of things like harvest timing and kilning, etcetera.  I have always assumed that kilning removed some of the more volatile oils in the hop.  Not so!  The GC graph pre & post kilning were the same.

Now I know.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hop Oils & Kilning
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:23 am »
You should make the YCH Hop and Brew school next year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:30:00 am »
I've wanted to go since I heard about it - just hasn't worked out.  Maybe next year.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:33:01 am »
I've wanted to go since I heard about it - just hasn't worked out.  Maybe next year.

9/1-2 next year.  They asked me to come back and speak again!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell