Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 10LB CO2 tank in 6.9 Magic Chef  (Read 2033 times)

Offline NadoBrew

• 1st Kit
10LB CO2 tank in 6.9 Magic Chef
« on: September 07, 2015, 01:11:52 pm »
I am thinking of picking up a 6.9 Magic Chef chest freezer for a 3-tap keezer build, but I was wondering if I would be able to fit a 10-lb CO2 tank on the hump.

I have not found any specifications from Magic Chef regarding the size of the compressor hump.

On a side note, would I be able to use a PC fan controller with a Molex to AC adapter to control the 4 fans I plan to use?

Thanks.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 10LB CO2 tank in 6.9 Magic Chef
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:25:38 pm »
Your fan idea should be fine. I opted for USB fans. I bought two twin 80mm fans. Total power usage is really low around 3w.

There is a thread on Homebrew talk that has many common freezers fully spec'd out.

I have an 8.1 danby, and a 10# talk will fit with my 2x6 collar, but only if I get the shorter tank. I can't always guarantee that I will get a short tank when I exchange, so I opted for it to be on the floor for now. The difference in size for the short and tall is only a few inches, but it's enough to keep the lid from shutting. Soon it will be outside the collar, I don't need it taking up keg space.

Offline NadoBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 04:39:57 pm »
Your fan idea should be fine. I opted for USB fans. I bought two twin 80mm fans. Total power usage is really low around 3w.

There is a thread on Homebrew talk that has many common freezers fully spec'd out.

I have an 8.1 danby, and a 10# talk will fit with my 2x6 collar, but only if I get the shorter tank. I can't always guarantee that I will get a short tank when I exchange, so I opted for it to be on the floor for now. The difference in size for the short and tall is only a few inches, but it's enough to keep the lid from shutting. Soon it will be outside the collar, I don't need it taking up keg space.

Thanks. Just found the thread. It doesn't have the 6.9, but does link to the 7. I think it's close enough to be a good match...seems I can get away with having no-collar and having 3 kegs and 10-lb CO2 tank....I plan on a coffin build due to issues of the keezer being placed in front of my car. I lost every battle about having it inside the home. I settled on 3 kegs because four would have hurt too much economically at this point.

I thought about the USB fans, but since I want to control them individually, it felt more simple to just have a central control unit.

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 11:02:56 am »

Thanks. Just found the thread. It doesn't have the 6.9, but does link to the 7. I think it's close enough to be a good match...seems I can get away with having no-collar and having 3 kegs and 10-lb CO2 tank....I plan on a coffin build due to issues of the keezer being placed in front of my car. I lost every battle about having it inside the home. I settled on 3 kegs because four would have hurt too much economically at this point.

I thought about the USB fans, but since I want to control them individually, it felt more simple to just have a central control unit.

I let my wife choose the keggerator, now its in the formal dining room!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin