Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swap-toberfest '15  (Read 41656 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Swap-toberfest '15
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2015, 07:31:27 pm »
Just received a big box from Ynotbrusum!  Five homebrews and eleven commercial beers (mostly 12 ounce bottles/cans).  Jackpot!
Thanks, Jerry

Back at ya Jeff - all intact - 8 homebrews and 4 really nice commercials.  Yea for Cigar City, Tampa Brewing and and Green Bench collaboration with Trinity - that last one looks pretty intriguing (almost as intriguing as the homebrews!)

Pic if it posts right:  https://www.flickr.com/gp/131183133@N07/V5z1B4

Can't wait to start the sampling after I get back in town Tuesday!

Man do I feel lucky!
Well, you might not feel so lucky after a some of my less successful homebrews  ;).
Seven homebrews actually.  Some of the commercial brews I bought as growlers and carefully poured into bottles and recapped, so they look a lot like homebrews.

Ah, I see.  No problems there - mine are not the best of my brews either, but what I had on hand.  That's why I sent a fair share of commercial brews to hopefully make up for it. (Or to cleanse your palate from the homebrews, if necessary.). Enjoy!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »
UPS guy just dropped off a package today - my new pair of Irish Setters! Best hunting/hiking boot ever!

Even better, there was a second box marked all over with some Italian word that I think is pronounced Fra-jee-lay :) Inside the box were bottles of homebrew and some local selections from 3 Floyds and Taxman Brewing. Everything arrived in perfect condition. Looking forward to them. Thanks, Jon!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2015, 01:02:53 pm »
UPS guy just dropped off a package today - my new pair of Irish Setters! Best hunting/hiking boot ever!

Even better, there was a second box marked all over with some Italian word that I think is pronounced Fra-jee-lay :) Inside the box were bottles of homebrew and some local selections from 3 Floyds and Taxman Brewing. Everything arrived in perfect condition. Looking forward to them. Thanks, Jon!

Good to hear it !  That's right - 'fra-jee-lay'. It's a major award.  ;D  Hope you enjoy.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2015, 05:13:21 pm »
Ok, I guess I'll jump in first on the beer tastings. Last time I went through the whole scoring breakdown process (nothing wrong with that), but this time I'm not gonna do that. I just want to give impressions like we do in the 'Commercial Beer Review' thread.

Anyway, I was fortunate to get several homebrews from Ken (Wort-HOG) including these first two - a 'German Pale Ale' and a North German Pils. The German Pale Ale is as advertised- I get definite pilsner malt character in the nose, along with spicy German hop character which also has some slightly fruity, citrusy character. So I suspect that some newer German hops like Mandarina (with possibly Huell Melon ?) were used with possibly a traditional noble variety. The beer is perfectly clear, very pale orange, settles into a foam cap of two fingers that laces to the glass nicely. The hop bitterness and flavor are spot on for pale ale, body is medium/light,and there is a slight Caramunich/Caravienne character that, along with the pils flavor, gives a balance to the pleasant, fairly dry finish. I've liked the idea for a while to do a German pale ale or IPA and this is proof that it can work well. Excellent beer, Ken !

The second beer today was the North German Pils, which pours (as expected) a pale straw, perfectly clear, with beautiful thick foam of two fingers that sticks around and laces beautifully. Nose is of sweet, crackery pils malt and spicy/floral noble hops. Body is medium-light, with nice pleasant bitterness up front which carries over into pils malt flavor balanced by nice spicy hop flavor. Finish is appropriately dry, leaving you wanting the next sip. I love this beer and would fill up one of my liter mugs a few times from a keg of this. Awesome, well made beer, Ken !

He also sent a bomber of Great Lakes Brewing's saison, which I sampled yesterday - delicious beer. It is very delicately spiced with ginger and lemongrass, so subtle in fact that it takes a back seat to and serves to compliment the saison yeast character, which is fruity and slightly spicy. Nice beer.

As luck would have it, I have a few more of Ken's beers to eval. Can't wait !

Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2015, 05:43:32 pm »
Ok, I guess I'll jump in first on the beer tastings. Last time I went through the whole scoring breakdown process (nothing wrong with that), but this time I'm not gonna do that. I just want to give impressions like we do in the 'Commercial Beer Review' thread.

Anyway, I was fortunate to get several homebrews from Ken (Wort-HOG) including these first two - a 'German Pale Ale' and a North German Pils. The German Pale Ale is as advertised- I get definite pilsner malt character in the nose, along with spicy German hop character which also has some slightly fruity, citrusy character. So I suspect that some newer German hops like Mandarina (with possibly Huell Melon ?) were used with possibly a traditional noble variety. The beer is perfectly clear, very pale orange, settles into a foam cap of two fingers that laces to the glass nicely. The hop bitterness and flavor are spot on for pale ale, body is medium/light,and there is a slight Caramunich/Caravienne character that, along with the pils flavor, gives a balance to the pleasant, fairly dry finish. I've liked the idea for a while to do a German pale ale or IPA and this is proof that it can work well. Excellent beer, Ken !

The second beer today was the North German Pils, which pours (as expected) a pale straw, perfectly clear, with beautiful thick foam of two fingers that sticks around and laces beautifully. Nose is of sweet, crackery pils malt and spicy/floral noble hops. Body is medium-light, with nice pleasant bitterness up front which carries over into pils malt flavor balanced by nice spicy hop flavor. Finish is appropriately dry, leaving you wanting the next sip. I love this beer and would fill up one of my liter mugs a few times from a keg of this. Awesome, well made beer, Ken !

He also sent a bomber of Great Lakes Brewing's saison, which I sampled yesterday - delicious beer. It is very delicately spiced with ginger and lemongrass, so subtle in fact that it takes a back seat to and serves to compliment the saison yeast character, which is fruity and slightly spicy. Nice beer.

As luck would have it, I have a few more of Ken's beers to eval. Can't wait !

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed Jon !

Edit- the pilsner is 92% Avangard pils malt, and 8% carapils. 40IBU of select spalt, hallertauer and magnum.
OG 1.052 F 1.008

the GPA was 85% Avangard vienna, 10% carared, 5% cara pils. 45IBU cascade, centennial, citra, amarillo and mandarina -all 15minute or less additions.
OG 1.048 FG 1.010
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:54:46 am by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2015, 05:44:21 pm »
Wow, I swung and missed on the GPA's grist, Ken ! It was a tasty beer, regardless. I probably got most of the fruity character from the Citra.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2015, 05:59:57 pm »

Wow, I swung and missed on the GPA's grist, Ken ! It was a tasty beer, regardless. I probably got most of the fruity character from the Citra.

Ha! That's the fun it getting a beer to taste with little to go on.

Something interesting and magical happened with this malt and hop combo, and all late and no bittering additions .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2015, 06:01:00 pm »
Generalized impressions on Jeffy's (Jeff Gladish's) Witbier, without specific regard to BJCP style or scoring:

Orangey-lemon citrus aroma big on the pour, with mild pepper and substantial coriander aromas on second whiff.

Gold with orange tint, cloudy, but with a thick, rich white foamy head - well carbonated - held up well and modest lacing

Sweet and orange zesty citrus flavor, combined with malt sweetness in the later palate and further spiciness in the aftertaste lending to a dry finish; hop bitterness evident, but not highly expressive in flavor - nicely balanced.

Effervescence in the mouthfeel is refreshing; slightly dry in the near aftertaste, but not harsh or astringent.

Overall, quite quaffable, good balance in Wheat to base malt; third to fourth sip brought out the citrus in terms of lingering into the aftertaste to cut back on the initial impression of dryness.

This was a fine beer, which led me to try to find what Jeff didn't like about it - was that an intentional mislead?  I call it a solid witbier.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:50:09 am by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2015, 06:05:06 pm »

Something interesting and magical happened with this malt and hop combo, and all late and no bittering additions .

Yeah, definitely a cool synergy. That hop combo is usually way more assertive than that. Just a really good beer.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2015, 06:11:02 pm »

Yeah, definitely a cool synergy. That hop combo is usually way more assertive than that. Just a really good beer.

Good news ....the rest of the beers are pretty easy to follow

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2015, 06:14:38 pm »
Generalized impressions on Jeffy's (Jeff Gladish's) Witbier, without specific regard to BJCP style or scoring:

Orangey-lemon citrus aroma big on the pour, with mild pepper and substantial coriander aromas on second whiff.

Gold with orange tint, cloudy, but with a thick, rich white foamy head - well carbonated - held up well and modest lacing

Sweet and orange zesty citrus flavor, combined with malt sweetness in the later palate and further spiciness in the aftertaste lending to a dry finish; hop bitterness evident, but not highly expressive in flavor - nicely balanced.

Effervescence in the mouthfeel is refreshing; slightly dry in the near aftertaste, but not harsh or astringent.

Overall, quite quaffable, good balance in Wheaton base malt; third to fourth sip brought out the citrus in terms of lingering into the aftertaste to cut back on the initial impression of dryness.

This was a fine beer, which led me to try to find what Jeff didn't like about it - was that an intentional mislead?  I call it a solid witbier.
In my estimation it had a little scorched flavor from a mistake in the cereal decoction, but I have to admit that I am overly sensitive to that flavor and indeed was looking for it.  That and it was under attenuated when I bottled it.
Thanks for not trashing it on the forum!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2015, 06:25:33 pm »

Anything you'd try differently with this one Jon?

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2015, 06:34:31 pm »

I like the grist a lot. I may borrow that. Bitterness and flavor were great, as was the balance. Dryness was what I prefer. Maybe a bump in aroma, but it may have been perfect at tapping. In other words, nope !
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2015, 06:35:57 pm »

I like the grist a lot. I may borrow that. Bitterness and flavor were great, as was the balance. Dryness was what I prefer. Maybe a bump in aroma, but it may have been perfect at tapping. In other words, nope !

Cool. Yeah you literally got a bottle filled right before the keg kicked, so hop aroma was diminished for sure...fresh is best!

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2015, 10:07:22 pm »
I'm enjoying my first beer from Jon (Hoosierbrew). This was simply marked "IPA".

The beer is pale gold in color, and is crystal clear aside from some hop haze. The head is just a ring of white foam. Upon closer review, my glass is not as beer-clean as I would like, so the lack of head may be my fault. The aroma has citrus up front, followed by a big, dank cannabis note, as well as a hint of juniper in the background.

On the palate, I get fleeting notes of stonefruit and citrus, that quickly turns into a clinging, resinous hop character. Bittering is firm, but not harsh or abrasive. The fermentation character is clean, with no flaws, or any other notable yeast or ester character to speak of. The malt character is very low, and just lets the hops do their thing. There is also a hint of a gypsum/mineral water note. The finish is crisp and dry, As the hop resin starts to fade at the end you can pick out some fruit and pine notes that come back in, and maybe a low sulfur/onion note way in the back.

Carbonation was a bit low for this type of IPA. I think a bit more fizz would help boost the aroma a bit more, and might break up the strong resin punch a bit. But that's a minor quibble (and expected, Jon let me know that the carbonation wasn't fully dialed in yet, but he wanted to time his package so it wouldn't be sitting in a hot warehouse all weekend).

Overall, this is a damn nice IPA that I could easily drink in quantity. Great beer, Jon!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer